• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building my new XP 1900+ system, concerns on cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you are using ambient air to cool the water flowing through the radiator, the water will never get colder than the ambient air, therefore there should be no condensation if the water flowing through the system is not colder than the air surrounding the system.

Even then, depending on the relative humidity of the room, you would have some leeway to go below ambient air temperature and still not get condensation.

water cooling without a pelt or chilling the water is pretty safe with regards to condensation.

Edit: looks like caffeinhog beat me to the explanation

With my original on cooling, check this HSF out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2010403375

Expensive, but it looks to be almost at the level of an Innovatek watercooler... 0.24 C/W looks nice (for aircooling)

About the Thoroughbreds, yeah, I just read the article, they will be out by next month. So, since I will not actually be purchasing the parts for the system until the end of May, should I stick with the regular (and much cheaper, then) XP 1900+ or get a new T-bred instead? I know the T-bred is supposed to run cooler (good news for everyone) but what is a realistic expectation in performance between the 2 processors (heat and speed, mainly)? Could an overclocked, inexpensive XP match a new T-bred, for example?

Will the T-breds really be lower in price as AMD is claiming? :eh?:

Ok, and the thing on watercooling...well, it's starting to look better all the time, and I guess I may (eventually) switch to it when I want to overclock, but until then, I'll stay with air power. So, my last question on watercooling for now is, what is the price for a nice watercooling setup?

I doubt the thoroughbred will be cheaper. Maybe AMD's official price will be less, but the final selling price will probably be about the same. A 1900+XP palomino and a 1900+xp thoroughbred should have the same performance at stock speed. The important things are that thoroughbreds should be cooler, run on lower voltage, and be able to overclock more. Theoretically, they should also handle memory better.
Another thing about the thoroughbreds: Since they are cooler, you should be able to overclock them significantly with just air cooling. This is a good reason to get one of them. Just keep in mind that any motherboard you have right now may or may not be compatible with them. Even if it is compatible, you will need to flash the bios with the latest version, and you'll have to be up and running to do so, which will require that you have another processor. Therefore, if you DON'T have another processor, either get a board that already supports the thoroughbred without an update, or get a cheap duron on pricewatch. I suggest the latter, because it will give you a backup if something ever goes wrong, and won't set you back a lot of money.

I see. So should the two procs be at least similar in pricing? If the T-bred is a lot more expensive, I'll probably stay away from it. But I figure by June, the price should be down to a good level.

It sounds good though, because you should be able to get more than you pay for, with just air cooling (ideal circumstances) but even if I could only OC it to the level of a 2100+ that would be good enough for me.

I guess I'm now going with the T-bred. :burn:

Yeah, thanks to everyone who helped. :)

But...what's this I hear about the mounting holes going away?? Man, I have to say...that's bogus! How are we (even the non-overclocking people) supposed to keep our systems running at a good temperature and not have the processor melt to the bottom of our cases? I don't care if the stock cooling keeps it under the spec of 90C, I want to cool it my OWN way so I get the maximum life out of what I pay for! :mad:

Anyone know when this is supposed to occur? I hope the mobo companies put the holes in anyways

It's already done. Some companies are keeping the holes, but there are already new motherboards without them.
The good thing is that thoroughbreds run cooler, and a couple companies are coming out with lighter, better heatsinks. (Check out the Thermalright SLK-600, which is coming out soon.)

Back