• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Overclocking my i7-4770k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FloatingEmpire

Hello everyone, I just bought a new rig strictly for gaming (I know some parts are abit overkill nevetheless here we are):

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC w/ACX
Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Hero
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
RAM: 4x4GB module Corsair Dominator 1866mhz (9-9-9-24)
PSU: Corsair AX860i
SDD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: WD Black 2TB
Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820

I wan't a 100% Stable system at good temperatures with a decent OC. I read the step-by-step overclocking guide, but I'm not aiming for a 4.8GHZ CPU, I just want a very stable setup at perhaps 4.3-4.6GHZ - any profile suggestions? This PC is strictly for gaming and will be running 10 hours aday (or needs to be able to).

What i'm asking is (I've never OC'd b4) what would be a good profile for my CPU / RAM overclocking? And how much does the actual clock rate on the CPU affect gaming FPS?

Thanks alot in advance
Matt.

if i were you, this is what i would do.

set your CPU to default settings. now go to CPUz and see what speed and voltage your CPU is running at. for instance, cpuz reports to me that my Core i5 3570k is at 3.8ghz with core voltage set to 1.10v (when in turbo mode)

now keep increasing the clock speed till the computer either reboots or gives BSOD on windows startup. when this happens, apply A LITTLE MORE than the default voltage your cpu is at. so for me, i would set my voltage to 1.12v at 4.2ghz.

dont take my speeds for granted since you have a 4770k as i have a 3570k.

let us know how it goes.

EDIT: thats a good cooler btw. what are the temps you are getting right now? i have an NZXT heatpipe cooler but its only able to keep the CPU at 40c since im at 4.2ghz. which is normal btw.

Back