• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gotta fit a Silver Arrow on socket 2011...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Hi, I'm having trouble finding the retention bracket by Thermalright so I figured I could ghetto rig something.
Anyone done this before?
Any thoughts on how to do it without it looking horrible?

I'm getting a new case soon, as well as an x79 board and cpu and want to keep using my Silver Arrow of course.
If it can't be done I may have to sell it and grab a different cooler, but I'd rather get an h220 (curse you Asetek! :mad:)

AFAIK Swiftech H220 is available everywhere but USA because of a patent dispute.

IIRC you have the original Silver Arrow? What mounting kit do you have on it now?

What about this?

I'm in Argentina...shipping is either too expensive or would take ages.
Can you buy that for me and mail it in an express envelope (like a regular letter?)?
That should be dam cheap, right?
Performance pc's wants to charge me 40usd or so for shipping.

AFAIK Swiftech H220 is available everywhere but USA because of a patent dispute.

IIRC you have the original Silver Arrow? What mounting kit do you have on it now?

I do, standard one, doubt it fits 2011...isn't that why the SB-E version came out?

I'm in Argentina...shipping is either too expensive or would take ages.
Can you buy that for me and mail it in an express envelope (like a regular letter?)?
That should be dam cheap, right?
Performance pc's wants to charge me 40usd or so for shipping.

I do, standard one, doubt it fits 2011...isn't that why the SB-E version came out?

Yours will still work. I was wondering what all yours can mount on now. Not ure you have the proper spacing on your mount for 2011. If you do, than all you need is the pillar screws.

I don't think the standard mount will work...my new board is getting here in a week or so, gonna suck big time if I can't use my cooler with it.

I landed a reviewer job, can't use zip ties for build, and can't do a Coolermaster case review with a pentium D and D945GCCR, or can I? xD

:p

Yeah, created an FB page to link my reviews and articles...I was offered a job writing news articles for a local overclocking forum too, no pay, 2 news stories per day. 1 piece of free hardware once a year :p
I'm considering it...

Anyway, I'll see if I can contact Thermalright, maybe they can help me find that adapter.

or you could get some allthread and nuts and make some pillars :shrug:

Good idea! :thup:

Find out the thickness of the pillar and make up spacers that thickness.. a combination of nuts, washers, whatever. Than use all-thread.. or long screws with heads cut off.

All we need now is to find out what the thickness of the pillar is. I have Phanteks ones here and new Silver Arrow SB-E but they are not the same. New Silver Arrow SB-E is not the same thick base as original Silver Arrow. :(

Back