• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to configure win2k server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spazzkid

guys can u give me links or comments on how to configure win2k server? ive installed it on my pc for my own study use. i've never handled win2k or winNT before. i could need a little help. thanks guys.

-what are services i should enable?
-how do i configure for faster performance?
-how do i set it up on a network?

First, you need to decide what you want to do with your server. If you want to host a webpage and/or an FTP site, you need to install IIS (make sure to enable FTP capability if you want an FTP server, it's disabled by default). If you want to provide name resolution you can install DNS and WINS. If you want to use the server as a router for your network, you need to install RRAS (routing and remote access) and you *should* install DCHP, DNS and WINS.

I'll explain my server setup at home for an example.
My server at home does the following functions:
Hosts a webpage and ftp site (IIS)
provides IP, Subnet mask, Gateway, DNS and WINS information to all the computers on the network (DHCP)
provides internet name resolution (DNS)
provides intranet name resolution (WINS)

If you're fuzzy about what all this stuff does go to this link http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/default.asp

and also goto www.microsoft.com/technet and search for what you need help on, there's a lot of good info there about how to setup all this stuff and explanations of what it does. www.google.com is also a good resource.

As a quick note, probably the easiest thing to do is setup a webserver (IIS). It's pretty straight forward and rewarding when you get it to work because you can see the results instantly. You'll have to do some research to get it to work because it's not all foolproof, but it's an awesome feeling to see that webpage come up and work properly on you're server.

Drop me a line if you get hung up and you need some help.
[email protected] just make sure to put something about this thread in the subject.

-D9K

It's not too difficult just a little more involved.

-how do i set it up on a network?
Start-->settings-->control panel-->Network and Dial-up Connections-->Local area Connection-->Properties
From there things ought to look somewhat familiar.

-what are services i should enable?
Before that I would go to Microsoft's web site and start downloading patches This site will help with what you need:
www.microsoft.com/technet/mpsa/start.asp

I would also turn off IIS until you're ready for it. It can cause problems if left open and not secure.

-how do i configure for faster performance?
This one is tricky cause I know of no set formula. You kinda have to tweak it as you go and for what you're going to use it for.

Hope that helps.:)

alright thanks guys.
actually, i wanted to use win2k pro but then i got hold of win2k server (dont ask me how) so, for my own reference, i decided to install it. basically, all i wanted the server to do is to share internet connections, maybe put up a firewall in it, surf the web with it, maybe use DHCP, administer my home network, and install proxy server, sql server in it. Thats it. So what do u guys think? what wud be the best configuration for my server?

From what it sound like you're setting you server up to be a file sharing/internet box. I would make accounts on the server corresponding to your home network. Also depending on how you want it you might not want to internet share on your server. Take into consideration if your doing server maintenance or anything like that, that requires your server to be down for a while your whole network is down. All users are at your mercy! :) But you also hear them whine about no internet connection either. :( So...

Also with SQL Server make sure you got lots of RAM cause that program is a memory hog!

Hope that helps!

Back