• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox causing bsod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

My windows 7 installation is pretty new, as I replaced the mobo, ram, and cpu recently. All my drivers are up to date as far as I know (they pretty much have to be, right?). However, I've noticed that firefox occasionally causes a BSOD with the SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION type. It's happened three times so far - once while typing an address in the bar, and twice while closing the program. I haven't had any issues with any other browser or program. What's odd is that I don't see the crash in event viewer (only the message that the computer restarted after an unexpected shutdown). What's going on here?

How did drivers get installed? If you didn't do it then actually they might not be up to date.

I downloaded the video drivers from the ATI site, and the rest came from the motherboard driver disk.

Here are the full system specs:

Motherboard: Z87-PRO
CPU: i7-4770k (stock speed at the moment)
RAM: 8gb DDR3 1866
Video card: Radeon HD 6950
Power supply: OCZ Fatality 750W

If it's only Firefox causing the issue, then try uninstalling it along with JAVA and Flash player. Then run a registry cleaner like the one built into ccleaner or the free one from Auslogic. Reboot and install the three again. Firefox, then flash, then Java.

Try running Firefox in safe mode... All Programs--> Mozilla Firefox--> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode). Or type firefox -safe-mode in the Run box / Start Search field.

Looks like an unstable rig. Sorry.
Firefox can't cause a BSOD. It would have to be an unstable system or a buggy driver
(Possibly a problem with the Mozilla maintenance service.) (For Firefox automatic updates.)

My windows 7 installation is pretty new, as I replaced the mobo, ram, and cpu recently. All my drivers are up to date as far as I know (they pretty much have to be, right?). However, I've noticed that firefox occasionally causes a BSOD with the SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION type. It's happened three times so far - once while typing an address in the bar, and twice while closing the program. I haven't had any issues with any other browser or program. What's odd is that I don't see the crash in event viewer (only the message that the computer restarted after an unexpected shutdown). What's going on here?

I too have had 3 BSoDs since Firefox grabbed the latest update. It also randomly crashes.

I Dual-Boot so I hopped over onto my Win 8 install (using an older version of FF) and it's been stable as a rock thus far. (On my Win 8 install, FF is set to never check for updates)

After 3 days of perfect operation in Win 8 using the older version, I hopped back onto the Win 7 install, uninstalled FF, reinstalled it, grabbed the latest updates for FF, and it BSoD'd again...

I think they may have a bug somewhere in their latest update that affects a small subset of computers. I sent in a bug report just to let them know what I experienced...

I haven't been able to make it happen again. It wasn't happening with any sort of predictability before, but either it ironed itself out with further updates or it's some combination of things I don't know how to replicate.

Back