• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dangerously low temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihatejava

Registered
Hey guys. Is there such a thing as dangerously low temperatures for a cpu, and for that matter, a gpu?
As I'm on a budget, I have an AMD FX-4300 CPU, it runs at about 15-25 degrees celcius just browsing the internet, and then about 45 max while on load (Gaming with full graphics)
My GPU also runs at an average of 25 degrees off load.

Even if it was running those temperatures, no, that is not an issue.

15c is 59f, so unless your room is very cold (less than 40f), that temperature sensor is simply wrong. If the AMD sensors are anything like the Intel ones, they are wildly inaccurate the farther they get from their shutdown temperature, but get more accurate as the processor heats up.

Either way, don't worry about the temperatures, they are fine.

There is no such thing as too low.

It is impossible for any component to get below room (ambient) temperature on normal cooling solutions.

AMD MoBo's are know to misread lower temps. They get more accurate the higher the temps get (that is where it matters anyways).

Welcome to the forums.

*edit Ninja'd by thid :sn:

FX CPUs notoriously read low. As mentioned abovr a couple times, being below ambient temperature is impossible on air cooling (where another sub ambient cooling medium isnt used of course).

I wish I had Dangerously low temperatures! :)

ihatejava, Welcome to the forums, as stated in the above posts, the temperature sensors on the Fx processors are inaccurate at idle. They are supposedly more accurate above 40c.

Well that's a massive sigh of relief! Haha.
I'm just running air cooling, with 3 case fans and my HSF.
Once I've got the money though, I'm going to invest in water cooling, most likely just a Corsair H100 and overclock my cpu a little.
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I would also like to add that it is actually winter in Australia, and it's roughly 12 degrees celcius outside right now. Haha.

Last edited:
No such thing as dangerously low for CPU temperature.

I dont know about that. Build a CPU cooling tower filled with superfluid liquid helium and see how long the processor lasts. :-/ I suspect superfluid helium would actually flow directly through the processor and likely through the bottom of the mobo. Many solid objects cannot withstand superfluids, as they leak right through the object, freezing it through and through.

Last edited:
I dont know about that. Build a CPU cooling tower filled with superfluid liquid helium and see how long the processor lasts. :-/ I suspect superfluid helium would actually flow directly through the processor and likely through the bottom of the mobo. Many solid objects cannot withstand superfluids, as they leak right through the object, freezing it through and through.

Quite some time actually, LHe has been used to cool both phenom ii and bulldozer cpus, works great, but isn't generally worth the cost compared to LN2 cooling.

@SPL Tech. If the system is on then the helium will never get to the superfluid point due to the energy being input to it from the CPU.

Liquid He is used by many of the best overclockers in the world. So ya, no thing as too cold.

Although some CPU have a cold bug where they don't work colder than that or some also have a cold boot bug where the system won't boot. But some cpu's don't have any and will run full pot on liquid He.

Some chips do perform... very interestingly at low temperature (close to or sub-freezing). That was part of my job at NVIDIA. It's definitely not lower the better, at least not for all chips (unfortunately I can't disclose details).

It is lower the better above room temp though (assuming you don't live in an igloo).

Back