• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge cooler for a GA-990FXA-UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tikithorsen

As the title reads, I'm looking for some budget cooling solution for my NB, since the stock HS is only sufficient at stock and in winter-like conditions.

Checked out a few on Newegg but they seems to have problems fitting in the UD3.

Thanks in advance.

Sometimes finding one that fits properly is a pita. You'll have to measure the distance between the 2 mounting holes of the original NB heatsink, then find a suitable cooler that will fit. You'll also have to keep in mind the cpu cooler's size and if the new NB cooler will clear it.

Look around these places:

Performance-pcs

Frozencpu

jab-tech

Again your best bet is to add a 40/50mm fan to the original NB sink. The original sink has plenty of slots for air to pass through so adding a good fan will do the trick.

The idea of adding a fan; I have already consider it but the fact that it has plastic pins and is missing almost half the HS itself for a hypothetical card that no one in their right mind will put in the PCIEX1_1 just ticks me off.

Thanks for the links, pictures and ideas. But I'm still pretty much convinced to change the whole NB HS and since I have a friend that can but these things directly in China, I have a shot of not only getting one but actually cheap.

I'm currently looking at those links to see if I can find something.

Edit: This is what I found aesthetically pleasing:
Logisys North Bridge Cooler 2
XIGMATEK PTR-CN881
Thermalright HR-55
Deep Cool Nbridge 8

Now, those actually fitting on my motherboard is another thing, since they one that actually did have compatibility info seems to be quite outdated. (At least for AMD)

Last edited:
Yeah, their (Gigabyte) design to use the NB cooler so close to the 1st PCIE 1x slot is pretty dumb if you ask me.

Push pins are easy to remove. The aftermarket NB coolers should have new pushpins or bolt-through. Just gotta measure size of the new NB cooler and be sure it doesn't interfere with the 212 you have.

Measure the distance from one hole to the other diagonally. That will give you the size so you'll know what you'll need that will fit in the same holes.

Yeah, their (Gigabyte) design to use the NB cooler so close to the 1st PCIE 1x slot is pretty dumb if you ask me.

Push pins are easy to remove. The aftermarket NB coolers should have new pushpins or bolt-through. Just gotta measure size of the new NB cooler and be sure it doesn't interfere with the 212 you have.

Measure the distance from one hole to the other diagonally. That will give you the size so you'll know what you'll need that will fit in the same holes.

Alright, thanks for the info/tips.

Back