• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows hangs on boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarWolf

The computer begins the boot fine, comes up with the log-in screen. Once you log-in and have the spinning circle, it often just stays there and never continues on. You have to do a hard reset, at which point the second boot never hangs. I've left it overnight and when I came back the next morning it was still loading. Alternatively, if you are rebooting after installing updates it will often freeze while configuring updates.

This is in a work environment, so I highly doubt it is a hardware issue as there are over a hundred machines having the same issue.

All are running either XP or 7. Mainly HP Elite 8300 (Desktop) and Panasonic CF-53 (laptop), with some older machines in the mix. All of the new ones (8300 and CF-53) are imaged.

I have a suspicion Malwarebytes is the cause. All the machines have the PRO edition, so it starts automatically. I tried setting it to a delayed start (MBMAScheduler and MBAMService), and was no longer able to get it to hang. To add to this, while doing a fresh install I had no problems until the end, when I installed Malwarebytes. At which point, the next boot stuck.

While delayed start is a fix, it isn't ideal. Just the other day we had a computer come through with some nasty stuff on it, that Malwarebytes pulled off at boot before it could get into the RAM.

Has anybody run into this before? Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

Edit: Additional info. I was talking to a co-worker, who has a CF-53 without Malwarebytes and has never had it hang.

Last edited:
Hello.i have also a HP probook laptop and encountered the same problem.
Sollution:
1.Low format the hard drive with DBAN 3 passes only and the ssd with the original firmware utility.
2.After you done that,do NOT modify the power saving options of the laptop.Let it be full power.
This should do the trick.

It does it on desktops and laptops. Imaged computers and fresh installs on brand-new hdd's. Windows 7 and XP.

I'll give #2 a shot as soon as I can snag a laptop to test it on.

Back