• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raspberry Pi Throwdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What about mouser or element14/newark?

Man, this is killing me that getting settled in college is taking up all my free time. I need to start cracking my pi open!

Ok i finaly got round to buying some caps and going to try and mod this thing, i will post this effort in here rather than in the vmod section, i will need input from you Ed (bobnova) as i don't know a great deal about the ins and outs of these sort of things.

first things first these things are tiny to replace, just to get an idea of the scale of these things i took a pic of them next to piece of chewy :shock:

I don't know if these things have correct way round to mount them or are they universal, i don't want to put a negative end on top of a positive end lol

And one last thing, where are the voltage read points on the pi?

Attachments

• SAM_4275 (3000 x 2250).jpg
    SAM_4275 (3000 x 2250).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 204
  • SAM_4273 (3000 x 2250).jpg
    SAM_4273 (3000 x 2250).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
  • SAM_4271 (4000 x 3000).jpg
    SAM_4271 (4000 x 3000).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 185
That's how you want it.

The end of those two caps that are furthest from the camera are the read points for input power and vcore.
Don't short the two together, that's byebyePi.

Cheers mate, I will try and get them soldered on over the weekend. I need to get one of those helping hands things to keep them secure while I try and solder them on as there slightly bigger than the ones underneath them and don't sit on very well (fall off just looking at them) it doesn't matter which way round they are mounted does it?

What exactly is adding these caps going to do? Give me more core voltage? @stock I'm getting 1.24v on the left one (if the board was oriented usb to the north) and 4.77v on the right one, does that seem right :shrug;

Caps smooth out the voltage delivered. So when there is a load on the CPU, the voltage will not vary or dip.

Got them on! there a bit wonky but MAN! they were a real pain to get on, there super tiny and don't fit on top of the other caps..... i will test to see what sort of improvement these make and update as necessary :thup:

Attachments

• SAM_4277 (2250 x 3000).jpg
    SAM_4277 (2250 x 3000).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
Well they made no difference :cry: still a 50:50 shot to boot at 1200..... Is there any way to feed the arm more voltage? Trimmers !!

Yes, but it's not as easy as a standard voltmod.
You need an external buck regulator.

Easiest way is going to be to buy an EPower and use that. Failing that, you're in for some soldering putting one together.
Or you could zombie a GPU, or even run a cable off a AMD motherboard to use that VRM (with a CPU installed and running, so you can change it in BIOS).

In any event, getting a high enough quality buck regulator is step1.

What sort of gpu would be needed as I have a few 7/800 gt series gpu's and maybe a few amd cards laying around, and I like the idea of a zombie pi :attn:

I haven't ever had a chance to do any of this, so we will change it to an ongoing thread. My htpc plans fell through, so my rpi is still acting as a streaming/htpc for a tv in my house. As soon as I get some kind of replacement, I will give this a try.

Top score so far is keny at 564.58 pps!! Well done!

Back