• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 will not update?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

hey all,
I re installed windows 7 yesterday and I am having some issues updating it. I seem to recall having the same problem 3 years ago when I last installed it.

The automatic updater will not work
I tried downloading Service pack 1 directly from Microsoft, no worky!
I have been browsing google looking for a fix but most results say update from the start menu.
I tried a Microsoft repair tool...did not work
Suggestions, ideas?

Try a version of windows thats wasn't downloaded from a torrent site, it is rejecting your system check update which will allow other updates.

6u34.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Thats really rude, assuming my copy is not genuine...Ill wait for an answer from someone who has experience w/ this COMMON windows 7 issue...been here over 10 years bub, shape up!

I bow to your superior experience I have only been at this since June 17th 1976, yes thats a 76 not a typo. Employed as a bench tech and a business owner so you could be right.
As far as your "shape up" comment as much crap as I have been flipped, (I trust you know how to search posts since you been here 10 whole years.), I think you are the one that needs to shape up.

Last edited:
What happens when it doesn't update? No updates appear, fails (error code?), starts installing but does nothing, etc, what happens other than it just doesn't work?

Side note: Halfway to getting into the classifieds. :p

I bow to your superior experience I have only been at this since June 17th 1976, yes thats a 76 not a typo. Employed as a bench tech and a business owner so you could be right.
As far as your "shape up" comment as much crap as I have been flipped, (I trust you know how to search posts since you been here 10 whole years.), I think you are the one that needs to shape up.

Being here ten years means you have a reputation in the community, it does not mean I am as experienced as you or other members. This forum has a maturity about it and posts about Warz are not tolerated in any way shape or form! Mature members of the forums know this well and strive to build upon the excellent reputation this forum has built. So, dont assume my copy is fake..assume it is genuine and I have a genuine issue that needs resolving. Put your tech skills to good work and help a brother out.

Regardless of how long someone has been at this site or how long they have been working on systems does not change the fact that your original comment was rude. You didn't even ask; you just made the assumption that his copy wasn't genuine. There are a lot of problems that occur with the updater, even with legitimate installs. Try not jumping to conclusions and people won't respond with hostility.

Puer Aeternus, what error does it give when you try to update or what happens, exactly?

Could be several issues try installing the stand alone installers of any missing service packs, also look to see if the 1033 update has been installed, this has caused issues with updates for a couple years now.

Here is the error message I get when updating from the start menu.
Below are my update settings
and below that are the fixes ive tried, including Service pack 1

Like I said previously, this happened the last time I installed Win 7, but it was 3 years ago so I dont remember what the fix was. If you do a google search you find others have the same issue...the fixes are various and non have worked for me so far.
h96m.png
dblg.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Could be several issues try installing the stand alone installers of any missing service packs, also look to see if the 1033 update has been installed, this has caused issues with updates for a couple years now.

Thank you DAK, that was very constructive and more of they type of content that's appreciated by all. :)

Regardless of how long someone has been at this site or how long they have been working on systems does not change the fact that your original comment was rude. You didn't even ask; you just made the assumption that his copy wasn't genuine. There are a lot of problems that occur with the updater, even with legitimate installs. Try not jumping to conclusions and people won't respond with hostility.

Puer Aeternus, what error does it give when you try to update or what happens, exactly?

This's very much true, when i try to run my 2 OCZ ssd in raid 0, window will only "update half way" and stop, also run in to other minor problem too

Here is the error message I get when updating from the start menu.
What happens if you click the "Check for updates" button? That screenshot doesn't seem to be an error. Have you checked the Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any entries there?

Open up run and type in "services.msc" Find "Windows Update". Is the service disabled?
it is "started"

bm1j.png

it looks like it is relying on "RPC" remote procedure call
w1nw.png]

which is started however there is another RPC and it is not started
s4w.png

Have you tried the System Update Readiness Tool? (KB947821)

Yes I did (thanks) and this is the result:
wgpj.png

I was reading that one guy had issues updating once he installed a 1Tb drive.

All 3 of my drives are 1TB each...

I wonder if I should have updated windows first before installing all the chipset drivers..scratching my head here.

I've run in to this before myself, the most reliable way I've found of fixing it is to reinstall windows

Not to insult your intelligence but do you have the date and time set correctly? That can cause issues with updates.

Back