• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED How Well Does Tooth Paste Work as a Thermal Interface Material on Quad Core CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The peanutbutter/honey heatsink is genius.

*edit I think I just came up with the perfect name for OP.............. What say you, thideras?

Last edited:
You can buy new pushpins on ebay you know. I've seen them there before. Here's some.

That's some serious ghetto or redneck computing there. I can't believe it works.

You can also just use a bolt kit instead. Thermalright makes a bolt kit for socket 775 that I used with my e8400 and stock cooler.

Example
thermalrightlga775bolttir6.jpg

But this is great, enjoyed the read :thup:

Or even cheaper, get some 1/2" - 1" 6/32 machine screws and 8 nuts. Not quite as fancy as the Thermalright with the springs, but it works just as well.

Or even cheaper, get some 1/2" - 1" 6/32 machine screws and 8 nuts. Not quite as fancy as the Thermalright with the springs, but it works just as well.

Or, best of both worlds. Grab some springs with the screws and nuts!

I'm saying try it and keep a close eye on temps :rolleyes:

Not like you don't have more toothpaste :thup:

Oh, I wouldn't bother re-applying the toothpaste if it didn't work.

But I accepted your challenge to stress test with P95 with a busted HSF that
isn't installed properly and doesn't cover all the quad processor. :)

Results: 77C after 15 minutes. Sorry, no pic. But that's a PASS for my
purposes since this rig will only see light loads until I get delivery of the F7Pro
HSF. And until then I would expect temps spiking not much over 50C.

Run P95 small fft test for 30 min...that's like the universal standard, that or intel burn test.
No need for my current purposes, which are using this temporary cooling solution in a rig that will only see light loads.

But heavier stress testing would be in order after I get the new HSF installed, which I then intend to overclock.

Oh, I wouldn't bother re-applying the toothpaste if it didn't work.

But I accepted your challenge to stress test with P95 with a busted HSF that
isn't installed properly and doesn't cover all the quad processor. :)

Results: 77C after 15 minutes. Sorry, no pic. But that's a PASS for my
purposes since this rig will only see light loads until I get delivery of the F7Pro
HSF. And until then I would expect temps spiking not much over 50C.

I'll take that :thup:

Props for going through with it. Just keep an eye out for drying as some others said!

These have been tested before by a couple of review sites, and put a 'real' load on that CPU. :)

Thanks for the info!

I would be interested to learn how well those makeshift TIMs performed with a HSF made for overclocking such as the Freezer 7 Pro / F7Pro.

I doubt they used a broken Intel HSF that's not properly installed and doesn't make contact with the entire top surface of a quad processor. And as just posted above, it doesn't serve my current purposes to further stress this temporary cooling solution.

I am amazed at the size of OP's cojones, laying aluminium tape (conductive) all over the MoBo. :shock:
No great act of bravery or stupidity in using the conductive aluminum tape. The copper heatsinks and piping that I've attached the aluminum tape to are conductive as well.

Did you try this config minus the toothpaste? I wonder if it is really doing anything other than cooking?
I'd also be curious to see how this looks after a few days of use.

Also does it smell minty when you throw a load at it? ;)

Not using a TIM is never advisable. You are not likely to find stress testing without a TIM.
So it's fair to assume the toothpaste is not just cooking.

The only way I would be willing to report if the toothpaste held up longer than a day is if
I also used it the new F7Pro HSF that I soon will install. And I'm not yet decided whether
to bother with the toothpaste because this cooler comes with a pre-applied TIM, which
likely performs better than this toothpaste and I intend to overclock with the new cooler.

No mint in the toothpaste and it doesn't smell under load.

You can buy new pushpins on ebay you know. I've seen them there before. Here's some.

That's some serious ghetto or redneck computing there. I can't believe it works.

Yes, I had found that I could have easily repaired the Intel HSF in that or other simple ways, but I did so after I ordered 2 day delivery of the new HSF. And I had no other ghetto / redneck mod on hand to get this rig back up. Oh well, I spent more money and now I get a better cooler for a higher O/C. I guess that means I'm still posting in the right website. :)

I wonder if you used the minty cool variety of toothpaste vs the lumenous variety (obviously for whitening) if it would drop temps below ambient??????

HAHAHHAAHAHAAHAHAHA sorry couldnt resist

I.M.O.G., I remember when you were a senior member. Good to see you on top.

Past tests have shown that it works fine for a while. It is the best when you first apply it, and it will only get worse from there.
I now recall reading about such findings, but I don't know if this gel-type toothpaste was ever tested.

Over time, with many cycles, the paste will continue to dry out and eventually you'd be left with only the remaining grit between the paste and the HSF, with all moisture baked off.

Real TIM is designed to hold up over time, so this doesn't happen. But for a while, most anything can work until it dries out then temps will rise the drier it gets.
And I recall that with regular / better thermal pastes, they call this curing, which results in better than initial temps - instead of worse temps later on which would be expected with lesser TIMs or toothpaste.

Mostly, I'm impressed with the aluminum tape too. I know tinfoil can short connections, I assume aluminum tape can as well, if the shiny side bumps the wrong thing.
Knowing it couldn't hurt to attach the aluminum tape to the copper heatsinks and piping, I never once consider this a danger. Of course attaching it just anywhere on the mobo would be asking for a short.

Back