• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA1155 Low Profile High Performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I'm looking to replace the stock Intel LGA115 cooler that comes with the i7-3770s with something that has better performance. I need something low profile though as it will be in a tight case. I plan on using the CPU nearly maxed out 24/7, so I need something with better cooling to be assured longevity.

Only one I have found so far is the Thermaltake CLP0534 SlimX3. Are there others besides this one? Or is the stock Intel h/s good enough?

Since its a server environment running multiple VMs, it is not overclocked. And although I have every fan slot in the case occupied, I'd still like a little better cooling if possible. I have no way of monitoring the CPU temps as the motherboard I am using is not 100% ESXi supported. I'd just like that little extra piece of assurance.

I've seen those two you posted and my big concerns are price, and fitment. I'd like to try and stay around $30-$40ish ($50 tops), and it needs to fit in the space available. I'd have to take some measurements, but as I recall, the 120mm fan in the rear was already a tight fit, so I doubt the AIO water coolers would fit at all. The Noctua looks like it might be too big as well.

The stock cooler is fine for stock clocks. Intel (nor AMD) do not offer coolers that do not work at stock clockspeeds. Save your money.

Also, what board do you have that Realtemp/Coretemp/Hwmonitor/CPUID will not read temps?

The stock cooler is fine for stock clocks. Intel (nor AMD) do not offer coolers that do not work at stock clockspeeds. Save your money.

Also, what board do you have that Realtemp/Coretemp/Hwmonitor/CPUID will not read temps?

It's a ESXi setup. No VM has direct access to the hardware, so no software within those VMs can report anything such as temps, voltages, etc. Only ESXi but the motherboard has to have the proper hardware and software support for ESXi.

And if most of you are saying that the stock Intel should be good enough, then I'll stick with it. I did remove the stock TIM and use AS5 instead when I first installed it too, so that should be helping to keep the temps down.

Back