• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI GS70 2OD-002US Fan Noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is the strangest thing. Every other laptop I had didn't need me to make a BurnRecovery, I would just reset it to the original state and everything would work. But I'll do the BurnRecovery anyway.

BTW it seems the temperatures have decreased for some reason. I am not getting 90C anymore. Right now my max is at 79C. Which is still kind of high but not 90C high. :) Strange.

Its good though... Due to the possibility of your entire HDD getting corrupt (losing a recovery partition) MSI's BurnRecovery takes that out of the loop and puts it on seprate media. Plus, you dont have to go out and buy a third party program since it comes with the system.

Your temps looks good to me now! Maybe your thermal paste just needed to break in!

Yea I did the BurnRecovery and now it's sitting on my USB stick.
The temps did go up a bit after I posted, all the way to the 85C after playing one game on SC2.
But it does seem to be cooler by a few degrees even on idle, about 5C. So yea it probably just needed to break in.

I did attempt to repaste my M11X R2 and that was a pain to get to the CPU and GPU. The paste on it was like all over the heatsinks and surrounding outside the application area. Unfortunately I accidentally damaged the keyboard on it lol by placing the long screws where they were not supposed to go and so they poked the keyboard way up. Thank goodness it is only 24$ on ebay. :)

Hey guys,
I'd like to thank you for this thread, it helped me on my decision to buy the MSI GS70 while looking into it's temps behavior.

I've got mine now, and it idles at ~45C.
Well, I went ahead and tested it's CPU under load with Intel XTU. Unfortunately I got it to reach 90C in the very beginning of the test, the right fan got crazy loud, and the CPU throttled to lower clocks because of the heat.

I have experience with opening laptops to clean/repaste, so I'm actually considering opening mine to see if something can be done in the heat department. I bought the computer in the USA but don't live there, so my warranty is pretty much useless since MSI here in Brazil probably won't accept products bought outside.
I'd like to ask fellow owners about your temperatures when running stress tests (like Prime95, OCCT, Intel XTU) which I know aren't "real life situations", but they serve as a good point of comparison between models.
If mine really is over average, I'll open it to see what's going on. If I do open it, I'll also analyze the fan and air intake's inner workings, to see if they can be improved in any way. MSI's pictures show the holes in the upper part as being the main air intakes, but there's also the vents under the notebook that seem to be "traditional" air intakes as well. Maybe drilling the bottom of the case would result in better overall airflow? I haven't found any mods for this model yet, so somebody has to be the first crazy one to attempt it :)

Also, while on the subject of heat, I'd like to recommend CPU undervolting to anyone who owns this model (or any model, really). For less informed readers, It consists of lowering the voltage used by the CPU, while keeping it's frequency values on default. So, you get less heat production, and ZERO performance loss.
Intel Extreme Tuning Utility software has the option to do that, "Dynamic CPU voltage offset".

In my MSI GS70 I was able to reduce it -100mV, resulting in total TDP decreasing under load from ~50W to ~40W, and the throttling stopped.
The temperatures are still high after the undervolt @~87C, so I'm still up for the repasting. Any help will be appreciated!

Sounds like mine when I first got it... I would check the paste, but that's up to you... also, run a cooling pad under it. CoolerMaster has a neat pad with moveable fans to direct right under your intake ports.

Honestly, it can hit high 80s for a few seconds while gaming, and I check my CPU temp log, and can see that it hits 89 when it spools up for system maintenance in the middle of the night. But I have not had one throttling issue since I changed the paste.... as for settings with the CPU, I would not know where to start with changing those. I don't know if they have software out for it yet, and the bios does not support it.

Sounds like mine when I first got it... I would check the paste, but that's up to you... also, run a cooling pad under it. CoolerMaster has a neat pad with moveable fans to direct right under your intake ports.

Honestly, it can hit high 80s for a few seconds while gaming, and I check my CPU temp log, and can see that it hits 89 when it spools up for system maintenance in the middle of the night. But I have not had one throttling issue since I changed the paste.... as for settings with the CPU, I would not know where to start with changing those. I don't know if they have software out for it yet, and the bios does not support it.

Hey, thank you very much for the reply! :thup:
I have that Cooler Master pad, it's called notepal U3. Doesn't seem to affect direct temperature readings, but it cools the bottom of the notebook so that's better than noyhing, I guess.

What I was talking about the CPU is to use "Intel XTU" (google it, pretty easy to find and install). There's no need to access the bios for those settings, and the program is pretty easy to use once you're familiarized with undervolting. For that, I recomend "The Undervolting Guide" on notebookreview forums.

I'll check the paste as soon as I can get my hands on a ICD7 tube.

Back