• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 8 to Win 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speedracer 64

I just bought a new laptop that has Win8 on it. I plan on putting Win7 on a SSD. Can I get a copy of Win7 cheaper since I am a college student? I thought I had seen it like that before but not sure.

If I may ask, are you downgrading because of user interface (to get your start menu/start button back) or are is there another reason?

I have only used Windows 8 once and didn't care for it. It seemed more like a smart phone than a computer. Not having the menu/start button is another reason I want to do it.

Does the classic shell get rid of all the apps look also?

No, but it puts them in a separate group on the start menu. However, removing the apps is fairly simple. from softpedia

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Remove-All-Pre-Installed-Windows-8-Metro-Apps-328110.shtml

Also, my last thing I find very important for most users is to go to "Default Programs" and set "win photo viewer" and check all the extensions. Same for Windows media player, check all the extensions so you dont get metro popping up all the time. Also install acrobat reader to avoid metro pdf.

Does the classic shell get rid of all the apps look also?

As far as the "look" is concerned, your Windows 8 boots into Windows 7 - looking Desktop, where you can have a Windows 7 Start Button and a Windows 7 Start Menu.

Unless you specifically choose to hold SHIFT while clicking in the Start Button, you do not ever have to see Metro or anything else many people dislike about Windows 8.

All you are left with is Windows 7 look from the moment you boot in until you shut down. Everything positive about Windows 8 is still there regardless of whether you need it or not, just the Metro look is now a *choice* and Metro apps are a *choice* - not anything that is you have to see, ever, if you don't want to.

Back