• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED The Big Photography Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here are the three exposures I used to create the HDR picture below
_MG_0600.jpg

_MG_0599.jpg

+2
_MG_0601.jpg

Final result
15170674635_e0f1aeb83e_z.jpg

I had the camera set to aperture priority with AEB enabled (takes 3 different exposure shots one after the other without having to modify settings in between). If anyone is interested in attempting HDR, I would recommend using a tripod. I shot mine free-hand which resulted in a fair amount of ghosting after the three shots were merged. I also photoshopped the person in the foreground out because I found it took the focal point away from the picture.

Nice HDR shot ebug. There is much better contrast in it vs the 0 image. HDR is fun to play with & I usually go for the over-the-top tone maps instead of using it correctly as you have done.

Note the crew member on the flying bridge, when magnified he's watching to see if the mast clears the drawbridge.
Kinda late for that....:rofl:

VIrgo Colossus.jpg

Hah...absolutely late; at full reverse that thing might stop in half a mile. :p

Yes, he made it by a few feet. They measure with lasers for heights but they normally already know this beforehand written into the ship's stats and logs.
This bridge has a vertical clearance of 138' at high tide and the tide is highest during that photo.........but I WAS prepared for "folding mast" photos! :rofl:

Have you ever been postprocessing in Lightroom and wonder just what the hell your autofocus was thinking? Now there's a way to find out....

http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/

I haven't tried it yet, but I will when I get back next week from camping. It works with Lightroom 5 (earlier versions are in the works) and a pretty comprehensive list of Nikon and Canon cameras.

Have you ever been postprocessing in Lightroom and wonder just what the hell your autofocus was thinking? Now there's a way to find out....

http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/

I haven't tried it yet, but I will when I get back next week from camping. It works with Lightroom 5 (earlier versions are in the works) and a pretty comprehensive list of Nikon and Canon cameras.

Cool plug in, thanks for sharing. I've used Canon Digital Photo Professional previously to look at focus points (not very often), but this plug in is easier to use since I'm a Lightroom user.

Plug in:
LR Plug in.png

Canon DPP:
DPP.png

I'm not sure how to interpret the red+white squares in the plug in. It seems that those AF points were not close to being in focus at all. Very interesting how much metadata is saved by the camera though.

I paid a visit to my favorite little camera store for the Mrs. since I've sold all older cameras.
They're nice enough to sell me a Sony a6000 body without the kit lens and bought a Sigma's 60mm prime lens instead.
Also bought myself a full frame adapter to use with Sony a7 camera to ultilize A-mount lens.

Why a6000? It now shares all of my FE full frame and A-mount lens pool without further investment.
The IQ of this APS-C camera is wonderful in a tiny package.

More toys - Full size image HERE
Using a7 + Adapter + Sigma 35mm Art @ f1.7, 1/200, ISO-100
15427167095_23c7eb969d_b.jpg

Camera Zone address in San Francisco - Full size image HERE
Using a7 + Adapter + Sigma 35mm Art @ f3.2, 1/200, ISO-100
15424056881_0426a268dc_b.jpg

Testing first shot from Sony a6000 + Sigma 60mm DN prime @ f8, 1/100, ISO-100 - Full size image HERE
15240553140_205a78a3d8_b.jpg

That's very pretty. My only issue with Sony + adapters - aren't they slow to focus?

That was my initial thought and didn't like the idea of added bulk.
Yes and no, AF speed depends on which adapter was used.
I bought the LA-EA4. It has a motor to control the mechanical aperture mechanism of A-mount lens. Thus, AF speed is stellar.
Camera Zone gave a great deal that I couldn't refuse and the thoughts irritate me most was unable to use my A-mount lenses for another 6 months when Sony rolls out new bodies.

Testing a7 + Adapter + Sony Zeiss 85mm @ f5.6, 1/60, ISO-100 - Full resolution HERE
However, tried and I have to admit that Sony Zeiss is no match to the new Zeiss Otus at wide open.
15245842280_0bdf06c2ae_b.jpg

Thought I would give a brief 6 months later update on my BenQ EW2740L. Bought it earlier this year as a low budget image editing monitor, and since then I've had the chance to compare the images processed on it with both prints and canvases coming out of the Mpix lab on my Zenfolio account.

Long story short, I remain extremely pleased with this monitor. I have disabled color correction processing on all my Zenfolio products - it's not necessary. They come out looking the way I edit them - the color accuracy of this monitor is that good. It loses points a little bit for minor contrast related issues (MVA tech drawback), but these issues seem to be rather minor.

So far, the only major complaint I have is that it's not 1440P. Otherwise, it's probably the best thing I did for my photography all year. Needed a little tweaking out of the box, but not too much. The Samsung 24" I was using previously looks absolutely terrible next to it.

Interesting; thanks for sharing your experience. That gives me something reasonably priced to shoot for when a new monitor is in the cards. :)

Thought I'd share some things that can me the last few weeks.

Very happy with this stand.

15638728320_16a80eb168_o.jpg

And to finish it up with a nice lighting set.

15799923246_ea4cdb38c3_o.jpg

15638405707_d423cc94d0_o.jpg

Took a nice shot of it all once it was all assembled while using the stand.

15638162698_c41e19ecc0_o.jpg

Stumbled across this Canon 7D2 CF and SD card comparsion. I don't completely agree with their testing methodology (1/60s shutter speed, capturing a (potentially variable) image), but it's nice seeing 'real world' results.

I am a little disappointed that Canon doesn't take advantage of the absolutely most cutting-edge technology (UHS-II SD cards, 300+ MB/s apparently), but hey, 75MB/s SD write and 100MB/s CF write is fast!

Back