• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crazy Harddrive Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DECODER22

Disabled
ok i was wondering if it was possible to take a regualr computer harddrive and hook it up to a laptop cause my laptop harddrive took a poop and ic ant afford the laptop prices i mean maybe i can hook up a 13.6 to the laptop or sumtin anyone have any ideas on how to do that ??????????????:cool:

id make its own box lol and run the cable out thing is how do i power up the harddrive and i dont think the cabels are the same LOL

hmm i found converters to hook up laptop harddrive to a desktop but i ahvent found a converter to hook up desktop harddrive to laptop ODES ANYONE KNOW WERE I CAN GET THIS CONVERTER?

DECODER22 said:
hmm i found converters to hook up laptop harddrive to a desktop but i ahvent found a converter to hook up desktop harddrive to laptop ODES ANYONE KNOW WERE I CAN GET THIS CONVERTER?
I doubt such a thing exists.

You'll probably have to build your own.

I have 2 of the laptop to desktop adapters, but I have never seen any the other way around.

They use to have an adapter that would allow you to attach a drive via the PCMCIA slots. Most laptops have a BIOS setting where you can choose to boot from the PCMCIA.

1. Attach the drive to the PCMCIA Slots
2. Select Boot from PCMCIA in the BIOS
3. Tape the drive to the top cover (heh).

I will dig around the web and see if I can find what I am talking about. May be hard because this was a few years ago before everything went USB. You use to be able to find backup kits that had the connector. You might even be able to find an old external IDE device that has the connection. Kinda like the old backpack CD-ROMs that had a PCMCIA card attached to them.

USB hdd will work, but be dirt slow. If it was the second drive in the system, that should be fine, but as the boot drive with USB legacy enabled (so you could boot to it) it would make the system crawl. Firewire would have more acceptable speed, but that would require more expensive hardware and I don't think its boot supported

im working on making a desktop harddrive work on it hehe ill let u guys know how it goes ill post pics if i ever finish it heeh

I just realized something - you're going to have to find a 12V source inside the laptop. Desktop hard drives require both 5V and 12V, but laptop ones only need 5V.

Back