• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

winxp hangs for 2 mins on startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harderclock

when i start my computer and log on nothing works for about 2 minits im running a t-bird 1400 on a kt7a with a maxtor 7200rpm 40 gig with 256megs of crucial cas 2 ram and a radeon 64 meg card i tried running ms config to close some programs but i dont have anything but msnmessenger and norton 2002 starting with my computer,anyone have any ideas ill try anything.

harderclock said:
when i start my computer and log on nothing works for about 2 minits im running a t-bird 1400 on a kt7a with a maxtor 7200rpm 40 gig with 256megs of crucial cas 2 ram and a radeon 64 meg card i tried running ms config to close some programs but i dont have anything but msnmessenger and norton 2002 starting with my computer,anyone have any ideas ill try anything.

Sometimes, a network card that is not connected to a working network will cause a big delay... That is my experience.

In addition to "flounder43"s excellent suggestion, you might also want to give "BootVis" a try. It's a performance trace visualization tool for use with Windows XP systems. You can download it from MS's site here...

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/default.asp

It's available under the "Downloads" section as "BootVis.exe Tool".
Windows XP has the ability to trace boot and resume metrics, and to dump the resulting information to a binary file viewable through Bootvis.exe and other tools. Bootvis.exe displays various time-interlocked graphs showing such things as CPU Usage, Disk I/O, Driver Delays and resume activity.

Bootvis.exe can show many types of useful details; the best way to start is by dragging an area on the graph and either double-clicking it or right-clicking to use the context menu to see what options are available. The operating system instrumentation starts about one second after the boot loader loads.

Overall boot time shown in Bootvis.exe should add BIOS power-on self test (POST) time + one second. Taking boot traces with Driver Delays will lengthen boot by two to three seconds. The resulting binary file will be several megabytes in size.;)

Last edited:
If its not connected to a network try assigning a static IP address. Basically it could be hanging on looking for a DHCP server as Flounder said.

Big Nuttz said:
If its not connected to a network try assigning a static IP address. Basically it could be hanging on looking for a DHCP server as Flounder said.

Thats what it sounds like. I run dually nic's, and I keep the one I'm not using disabled, so it doesn't slow me down on bootup.

Boot into XP safe mode, then you can see the filenames being loaded, and see where it hangs. Mine hung on MUP.sys, although I can't tell you what it is or how to fix it, but maybe you have greater skillz than I :p

thanks for the info and i think your right about the nic,so i will try to assign it a static ip.again thanks and ill let you know if it works

also, you might want to check your settings in norton . . . if it's scanning your boot sectors or your registry or something like that every time you boot that would slow you down considerably . . .

Back