• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu and video card bottlenecking question (Q6600)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atm743

hey guys.

ok so i have some parts laying around (motherboard, ram) and my bud wants a gaming rig. told him ill build him one. he plays kinda blah low end games (league of legends, maybe starcraft 2, dota 2,) AND at the same time i want to upgrade my GTX 680 to a GTX 780. i was going to sell him my 680 but thought that putting a 680 with a q6600 would be plain overkill and the cpu would bottleneck big time.

how bad of a bottleneck would i get . hes not planning on playing any high end games (crysis, battlefield 4, ext..) so i dont think it would matter to much but at the same time the chip been EOL for a while. not sure if he would get the same performance out of a sandybridge I3 dual core chip than a Q6600. i thought i could kill two birds with one stone. sell him my 680 (and i upgrade to my cpu) and build him a rig that will play mid level games (hes been playing stuff of a walmart special laptop for a while now)

Youd have to overclock the bus speed significantly. Even still youd see a huge reduction in performance compared to what the gpu is capable of. Is the 775 board you have pcie 1 or 2? I put a 3870 in my friends pentium 4 in 2007 and it still ran like a dog. Cpu is important.

You can't compare a P4 to a q6600.

Even if the gtx 680 won't give it's max performance, it will still be a good gaming rig, more so if you can overclock the Q6600 above 3ghz.

Youd have to overclock the bus speed significantly. Even still youd see a huge reduction in performance compared to what the gpu is capable of. Is the 775 board you have pcie 1 or 2? I put a 3870 in my friends pentium 4 in 2007 and it still ran like a dog. Cpu is important.
Its not going to be terrible. And since you have to overclock the bus to overclock the CPU that is going to be taken care of anyway. :thup:

I do hope the board is PCIe2...modern S775 (P35/P45/X38/X48/750i/780i/790i) are PCIe2.

Back