• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pros and Cons of Windows 8 over previous versions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I believe that W7 will last longer and have an even longer support cycle than XP.

Windows update availability shows Windows XP to be the longevity king, it will still be going into 2014!

• Windows XP: 12.5 years October 25, 2001 to April 08, 2014
• Windows 7: 10.25 years October 22, 2009 to January 14, 2020
• Windows 8: 10.25 years October 26, 2012 to January 10, 2023

Windows 7, all you do is Windows Key + start typing. You never have to use the mouse if you don't want to.

Exactly the same on Windows 8. With 8.1 you won't have to tab anymore over to change the file type you are looking for, but the concept is exactly the same.

Seems? Subjective again. I noticed no difference between 7 and 8.

That may be your opinion. Personally I have used over a dozen Windows 8 computers that previously had Windows 7 and I find that Windows 8 is speedier and more stable, handles memory more efficiently, and contains more power-saving features for laptops as well as decreased times for startup, sleep and hibernation.

I will say one thing. I do pin a few applications to my taskbar. Most of them are applications that I will have open all day long or ones that I frequently use and will close when I am done using them. It certainly is nice to have my applications in the same order each time I look for them. Of course, you can do just that in Windows 7. It's not something I adopted until now. I'd guess it would be because I don't have my most recently used applications in the start menu like Windows 7 did but I've made it work well for me.

At this point in time, I can certainly see Windows 7 sticking around for the same length of time as Windows XP. Of course, I also do not know what else Microsoft is working on for the future so there is always a bit of a wildcard there.

I am just curious, do you have a source for your claim of the Metro interface being a snap decision? I haven't ever heard exactly what the decision making process was on that so I am genuinely curious.

Regarding Windows 8 stability, I would also agree that it has been the most stable Windows OS I have ever used. I've never had it crash on me yet (knock on wood). In terms of battery life, it may not be a big deal to you but to plenty of others, it is a big deal. At my work, nobody gets a desktop anymore. Everyone gets a laptop. I can sometimes be in meetings for 4+ hours in a day and if I didn't have decent battery life, I'd be carrying around my charger to meetings :)

*edit: The biggest test for me is if I had to go back to Windows 7 today, is there anything that I would really miss? For me, the answer is yes, most definitely. Could I deal with it? Most certainly but there are features I would want back.

I will say one thing. I do pin a few applications to my taskbar. Most of them are applications that I will have open all day long or ones that I frequently use and will close when I am done using them. It certainly is nice to have my applications in the same order each time I look for them. Of course, you can do just that in Windows 7. It's not something I adopted until now. I'd guess it would be because I don't have my most recently used applications in the start menu like Windows 7 did but I've made it work well for me.

At this point in time, I can certainly see Windows 7 sticking around for the same length of time as Windows XP. Of course, I also do not know what else Microsoft is working on for the future so there is always a bit of a wildcard there.

I am just curious, do you have a source for your claim of the Metro interface being a snap decision? I haven't ever heard exactly what the decision making process was on that so I am genuinely curious.

Regarding Windows 8 stability, I would also agree that it has been the most stable Windows OS I have ever used. I've never had it crash on me yet (knock on wood). In terms of battery life, it may not be a big deal to you but to plenty of others, it is a big deal. At my work, nobody gets a desktop anymore. Everyone gets a laptop. I can sometimes be in meetings for 4+ hours in a day and if I didn't have decent battery life, I'd be carrying around my charger to meetings :)

*edit: The biggest test for me is if I had to go back to Windows 7 today, is there anything that I would really miss? For me, the answer is yes, most definitely. Could I deal with it? Most certainly but there are features I would want back.

For laptops one would think that Haswell and Win 8.1 will be a match made in heaven.:) Saw something the other day and the reviewer said 10 hour!:eek:

Regarding posters who say that Windows 8 performs better, I second that. Real life usage, on my identical installs of Windows 7 and Windows 8, same SSD / different partitions and Windows 8 is snappier. We would not be having this discussion, nobody would be using Windows 7 if Microsoft simply offered the Classic Shell option or if people took a few seconds to install Classic Shell on Windows 8, before abandoning it.

We shouldn't be pushing either Classic or Metro onto anyone, we should be pushing for a choice. Metro people need to remember that they are in the minority. No matter how much they like Windows 8 GUI, the majority of users would opt to boot into Desktop, not Tiles and opt to use real Start Button and real Start Menu.

Simply going around asking friends/family/average Joes is proof.

It certainly is nice to have my applications in the same order each time I look for them. Of course, you can do just that in Windows 7.

But there is no difference b/w Windows 7 and Windows 8 with Classic Shell installed.
The biggest test for me is if I had to go back to Windows 7 today, is there anything that I would really miss? For me, the answer is yes, most definitely. Could I deal with it? Most certainly but there are features I would want back.

Why would anyone deal with it when they can permanently have both through Classic Shell? Why would anyone go back to Windows 7, abandon all the advantages of Windows 8 (even if only to have them as options) when they can get Windows 7 option through Classic Shell?

You press SHIFT+Start Button and Windows 8 Tiles immediately replace Desktop and you get to use any Metro App you want. If you do not use Metro Apps, would most of us not want to be in Desktop mode? Classic Shell effectively removes all Cons from Windows 8 anyone listed in this entire thread. :cheers:

Seems? Subjective again. I noticed no difference between 7 and 8.

I qualified my statement, as my evidence is purely anecdotal. I can say with authority, however, that I can go weeks now without rebooting, putting the computer to sleep many times in the course of a day. That's something I could never get away with on 7. Same computer, mind you.

Irrelevant on large desktop computers like us Ethusiasts, gamers, etc have, and I would say irrelevant to most people considering how horribly the Surface tablets have sold and how few other Windows 8 devices are selling.

What does the surface have to do with it? Convertible tablets are a whole different enchilada (see my signature). I'd venture that the current crop of Haswell ultrabooks (many of which are convertible tablets) could probably handily outdo many representative "large desktop computers" in all but gaming, and do it at 40,000 feet while billing by the hour. :cool:

Classic Shell effectively removes all Cons from Windows 8 anyone listed in this entire thread. :cheers:

But it does not bring Aero back :(

It certainly is nice to have my applications in the same order each time I look for them. Of course, you can do just that in Windows 7.

But there is no difference b/w Windows 7 and Windows 8 with Classic Shell installed.

I am talking about on the taskbar. It is nice that when I launch an application on my taskbar, it stays in the same location as where the application shortcut was, keeping my applications in order. I am ridiculously picky about keeping my applications in the exact same spot every time I use them. I do the same thing in Windows XP (which I still have to use at work). It makes me more efficient to know what order my applications are in each and every time.

The biggest test for me is if I had to go back to Windows 7 today, is there anything that I would really miss? For me, the answer is yes, most definitely. Could I deal with it? Most certainly but there are features I would want back.

Why would anyone deal with it when they can permanently have both through Classic Shell? Why would anyone go back to Windows 7, abandon all the advantages of Windows 8 (even if only to have them as options) when they can get Windows 7 option through Classic Shell?

You press SHIFT+Start Button and Windows 8 Tiles immediately replace Desktop and you get to use any Metro App you want. If you do not use Metro Apps, would most of us not want to be in Desktop mode? Classic Shell effectively removes all Cons from Windows 8 anyone listed in this entire thread. :cheers:

If I had to go back to a laptop issued by the company I am on contract at instead of using the laptop my company issued me, I would have to revert to Windows 7 as I would have to use their build instead of whatever I want on my company laptop. It would most certainly not be ideal for me to have to do that but it is something they are considering doing.

hafa, as I said to another poster, most complaints are about functionality or lack thereof, which we have managed to get back, but when it comes to themes, there are programs which allow for that, if the topic is not functionality but the way it looks, I believe that programs are already written out there to give you the option of Aero under Windows 8.

The one remaining functionality gripe for me is that you cannot group files/folders anywhere on Windows 7 or Windows 8 other than their Desktops. Being able to group, and thus sort through files/folders is crucial for some people's work. Windows XP's feel of being able to do that is what would be nice to have. There was a registry edit to enable it on both Win7 and Win8 but unfortunately it breaks other functionality so it is not the solution.

So a dual desktop boot of Windows XP / Windows 8 for the win I suppose.

I've been using Windows 8 for a couple of months now, and there isn't anything that takes me any longer, or is an more difficult to do than with Windows 7. And as a software developer, that's a lot of things I have no complaints about.

I use the Start Menu constantly, rather than clutter up my taskbar with pinned programs, I use the Start Menu, lol. Makes a lot more sense really to have a desktop with icons you use almost every day, and then a menu with cascading options for lesser used programs. I constantly open Windows Explorer from the start menu to browse places, the large list of most commonly used programs I use a whole lot, it's very useful that it remembers what programs you use most and puts them at the top of the list.

The Metro Start Screen doesn't do that. YOU have to put the programs you use most on Metro.

It is a step backward in usability.

It's hardly a step backwards, it's just different. It encourages you to either adapt to the 'new way' or to use the search bar, instead. The search bar (in both Windows 7 and Windows 8) is probably the one aspect of the OS that I use more than anything. You can do nearly anything under the sun with the search bar, alleviating the need to use your mouse unless you require precision. For me, I type much more quickly than I can move the mouse (let alone remove my hands from the keyboard, and place it on the mouse). Using and adapting to technology, by and large, is done for efficiency. Navigating a dynamic menu with a mouse is probably one of the least efficient tasks you can do... so why do it when you don't have to?

-metro ui i like it its basically the start menu / desktop all in one. plus metro apps like facebook and email show me notifications at a glance.
Except third party non-store programs like desktop programs you pin to the Start Screen do not get the large pretty tiles, they get ugly little icons. I don't have a problem with logging into my accounts manually when I want to check them. It eases my security concerns with having a system connected all of the time.
you don't have large pretty tiles on a normal desktop they are just as ugly lol. and i dont understand everyones "security" issues lol im surprised alot of the people here even use the internet at all as long as you log out of your computers account so no one can just walk up and get on it. i dont have a problem logging in either just easier to see at a glance. vs checking all my accounts.(fb, yahoo, gmail's, my business emails, news.) though to be fair most of my gmail accounts go to my phone so i get notified with them.

Windows 7, all you do is Windows Key + start typing. You never have to use the mouse if you don't want to.
touche'

I am talking about on the taskbar. It is nice that when I launch an application on my taskbar, it stays in the same location as where the application shortcut was, keeping my applications in order. I am ridiculously picky about keeping my applications in the exact same spot every time I use them. I do the same thing in Windows XP (which I still have to use at work). It makes me more efficient to know what order my applications are in each and every time.

I would have to revert to Windows 7...

Well hold on, boss. I am with you and unless I misunderstood, I share your approach to using Windows and have resolved this issue under Windows 8.

Correct me if you meant something else but:

1. * Right click > Unpin Task Bar icons and Enable Quick Launch: Right click on an empty space on the taskbar > Toolbars > New Toolbar >
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
> Select Folder

Right click on an empty space on the taskbar > UNCHECK: Lock the taskbar > Left click on the dotted lines on the left side and hold them, then drag it to the right PAST the Quick Launch toolbar and release to get the Toolbar on the left side.

Right click on the taskbar > UNCHECK: Show Text and Show title then above it View > Large Icons

Quick Launch: Show Desktop, Notepad, Drive shortcuts, Email, Firefox
Lock the task bar again.

to get this under Windows 8:
QuickLaunch.jpg

2. I want to have Desktop icons in EXACTLY the same place always, not alphabetized, I want to have each and every shortcut icon in EXACTLY the same place on every operating system on my quadruple boot.

To achieve that, I installed this under Windows 8:
http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm

which allows me to right click on Desktop and Custom Save/ Restore Icon Positions:

Save-RestoreIconPositions.jpg

Well hold on, boss. I am with you and unless I misunderstood, I share your approach to using Windows and have resolved this issue under Windows 8.

Correct me if you meant something else but:

1. * Right click > Unpin Task Bar icons and Enable Quick Launch: Right click on an empty space on the taskbar > Toolbars > New Toolbar >
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
> Select Folder

Right click on an empty space on the taskbar > UNCHECK: Lock the taskbar > Left click on the dotted lines on the left side and hold them, then drag it to the right PAST the Quick Launch toolbar and release to get the Toolbar on the left side.

Right click on the taskbar > UNCHECK: Show Text and Show title then above it View > Large Icons

Quick Launch: Show Desktop, Notepad, Drive shortcuts, Email, Firefox
Lock the task bar again.

to get this under Windows 8:
I believe what he is referring to is the fact that applications with multiple windows (and without) stack onto their quicklaunch icon, like so:

Attachments

• ql.png
    ql.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 45
Windows update availability shows Windows XP to be the longevity king, it will still be going into 2014!

It's a great OS! It's not as secure as Windows 7, but a lot of it's problems can be mitigated simply by conscious use practices.

Yeah, I cannot imagine not having Windows XP as a multi-boot option. Maybe some future Windows 3000 will have complete Windows XP GUI as an option? That would be great.

I believe what he is referring to is the fact that applications with multiple windows (and without) stack onto their quicklaunch icon, like so:
If that is what he wants, I had to take extra steps to disable that, but here's what he has to do:

Attachments

• Combine.png
    Combine.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 43
Yeah, I cannot imagine not having Windows XP as a multi-boot option. Maybe some future Windows 3000 will have complete Windows XP GUI as an option? That would be great.

If that is what he wants, I had to take extra steps to disable that, but here's what he has to do:

Eek, how could you live without that feature? It + Aero peek is phenomenal, imo. :)

Remember how many times XP was extended because people refused to move to Vista?

I see the same thing happening to 7.

Exactly the same on Windows 8. With 8.1 you won't have to tab anymore over to change the file type you are looking for, but the concept is exactly the same.

The start menu is better though, because you don't have to know the name of what your looking for, all programs (quite literally) are listed there. The All Apps thing of the Metro Screen is similar but much less organized and I dislike the way its organized, files, apps, programs, on the side.

That may be your opinion. Personally I have used over a dozen Windows 8 computers that previously had Windows 7 and I find that Windows 8 is speedier and more stable, handles memory more efficiently, and contains more power-saving features for laptops as well as decreased times for startup, sleep and hibernation.

Windows 8's minimum system requirements http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8#Hardware_requirements

are higher than Windows 7, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7#Hardware_requirements

I would guess that this may have something to do with it. Personally I like my OS to use as least RAM as possible to free it up for the real programs, so I disable Superfetch among other useless memory hog addons that add little to the environment.

In addition, I like it how on the Windows 8 system requirements it says under minimum " A mouse and keyboard" and under recommended, a multi touch display. Even Micro$haft acknowledges that you're better off using a touch interface with Windows 8. They made this decision ignorant of the fact that most PCs in the market are non-touchscreen, I could find no other reason why they'd make such a stupid decision to use a touch-oriented OS on a desktop/laptop OS, and STILL make a seperate one (Windows RT) for tablets? Sigh, Microsoft.

It's hardly a step backwards, it's just different. It encourages you to either adapt to the 'new way' or to use the search bar, instead. The search bar (in both Windows 7 and Windows 8) is probably the one aspect of the OS that I use more than anything. You can do nearly anything under the sun with the search bar, alleviating the need to use your mouse unless you require precision. For me, I type much more quickly than I can move the mouse (let alone remove my hands from the keyboard, and place it on the mouse). Using and adapting to technology, by and large, is done for efficiency. Navigating a dynamic menu with a mouse is probably one of the least efficient tasks you can do... so why do it when you don't have to?

Change for the sake of change is not progress, unfortunately.

Err...

Common sense? They see Android and Apple anniliating them in a segment related heavily to Microsofts' own? People thinking that they no longer need desktops/laptops and can fare just as well with only a tablet and a smartphone?

I wouldn't vote to remove it, I'm just happy both options are there because super-fast computing is what I am interested in, so if there are four operations to be made from four windows, we are talking about extra time to access them if they are grouped together instead of being displayed right in front of me.

If anyone says 'well what's another 0.x seconds,' then they don't know what super-fast computing is, every unnecessary extra click is a problem. By having them grouped they are not in front of me. If they are each in separate clickable space, then click click click done.

hafa, as I said to another poster, most complaints are about functionality or lack thereof, which we have managed to get back, but when it comes to themes, there are programs which allow for that, if the topic is not functionality but the way it looks, I believe that programs are already written out there to give you the option of Aero under Windows 8.

The one remaining functionality gripe for me is that you cannot group files/folders anywhere on Windows 7 or Windows 8 other than their Desktops. Being able to group, and thus sort through files/folders is crucial for some people's work. Windows XP's feel of being able to do that is what would be nice to have. There was a registry edit to enable it on both Win7 and Win8 but unfortunately it breaks other functionality so it is not the solution.

So a dual desktop boot of Windows XP / Windows 8 for the win I suppose.

You convinced me of that long ago. Which is well what - it isn't a big deal. Then again why Microsoft in the infinite wisdom did that is still what "Bizzarro?"

It should be a litmus test as to who should be part of the new Microsoft team. Because customization is key to product's success in PC world, they should think twice about keeping the old guard with their 'deal with it' approach. We have no alternative to Microsoft. If and when we do, then it'll be the same story as what happened when initial versions of Firefox came out and started to take a bite out of Internet Explorer. It was customization of Firefox that played a role in that, not just better security.

So the topic is about real and only options:
1. Accept the psychological torture of having to literally jump through Circus Hoops of Windows 8 Charms Bar just to reboot your machine.

2. Abandon Windows 8 for Windows 7 (complete reinstall is not a 30 second operation).

3. Resolve all Windows 8 issues with a 30 second install of Classic Shell. http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/

Option 3 has nothing to do with 'big deal' or not - it is the smartest, most logical step to resolve the problems Microsoft developers created by not giving us the option to have default Desktop and Metro with one click instead of Metro by default.

Back