• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 840 EVO 500GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sam, how did you get the 8GB/s 4k-64 write? RAPID?

I don't know...just ran it with RAPID. I actually have another screenshot with TWICE of that score 19xxx :D

The 840 EVO is so far the only drive supporting RAPID. I have a non Pro 840 and Magician shows me the check box but it is grayed out. I dont know if future updates to Magician will support other drives but so far it seems to only support the EVO. My observation is this is more a software thing and not something built into the SSD.

Z

I'm wondering if I need Samsung Magician to run at startup to have it run in whatever mode I selected (Performance, Capacity...). Anyone know if it's okay to disable it at Startup?

Not sure, I just let mine run at Startup for RAPID.

I do not let it run at start up but I do not have/use Rapid. My settings remain either way. I think the software makes OS settings changes but is not required(except for RAPID) to run or load at start.

Z

Well not to poor cold water on this Samsung Magician Software, but a small word of caution here!! I did some testing with this on my set and it did some strange things to my SSD Drive here. It reset some of the settings for the PC and the drive and after that the Drive was very slow and hardly worked at all in the 4K Sectors!! So all i can say about this is my own Personnel experiences here and maybe it will work fine for you, but just be aware that it could make things worse as well!! And after i disabled it the software was still trying to change the settings i had reset. So in the end i uninstalled it and put the Disk in the Trash Bin. :attn: ;)

1, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736852&page=2

Please kindly read my posts and checkout this thread and make your own mind up as to use this software or not!!! :shrug:

Respect,

AJ.

Back