• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 840 EVO 500GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Here's a little teaser of things to come!

840EVO.jpg

I'll be posting benchmarks and general impressions in this thread, but for now I have Thermal/Fluid Design homework.

Here's a mini-update.

I unpacked it last night after finishing the homework (so these pictures were taken about 7 hours ago, at 4:30am for me).

Not a full review for the site, I'm simply too busy with school to do it, but here's pictures of the box, contents and packaging.
Don't mind the quality, they were taken with my phone and a makeshift lightbox using a piece of paper and my desk lamp :chair:

IMG_20130828_032320_438.jpg

IMG_20130828_032336_971.jpg

IMG_20130828_032425_014.jpg

IMG_20130828_032508_813.jpg

IMG_20130827_212657_880.jpg

IMG_20130828_032542_510.jpg

You can see, its a simple box up front with some specs on the back. Comes with a warranty booklet, instruction manual, stickers and CD.
My only gripe here is that there isn't a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter for people who want to go that route (luckily I have an extra).

Will get it installed this afternoon once classes are over and get some numbers for all you guys!

Where would you say this fits in to the line up of Samsung SSD's, would it be too unpolite to say this is the poor mans Samsung Pro?? AJ.

Where would you say this fits in to the line up of Samsung SSD's, would it be too unpolite to say this is the poor mans Samsung Pro?? AJ.

From what we read the EVO may actually be a better, poor persons, Samsung Pro. Anything 256 Gib and up!:thup:

From what we read the EVO may actually be a better, poor persons, Samsung Pro. Anything 256 Gib and up!:thup:

Only looking at other tests (not mine) this drive on the 250GB+ sizes can beat the Pro out.

The software included (I'll go into detail later) lets you use a RAM cache for the SSD, making it even faster.

Its a nice disk, I was so close to buy it, but then i fell i love with the new Vector. The Evo 500 gb is very fast and for the prise, its the best out there i think. Lets see some bench? ;)

I just wanna post a picture of my Vector i got today, hope its okay. ;) and god its beautiful. hehe

FgbrR.jpg

Its a nice disk, I was so close to buy it, but then i fell i love with the new Vector. The Evo 500 gb is very fast and for the prise, its the best out there i think. Lets see some bench? ;)

I just wanna post a picture of my Vector i got today, hope its okay. ;) and god its beautiful. hehe

I'm getting to the benchmarks ASAP, but I just spend 14 hours on homework between last night and today. I'm going to be running the benches on the clean OS install, when I get that done.

Is this what you got?

Yes, its the new EVO.

I'm getting to the benchmarks ASAP, but I just spend 14 hours on homework between last night and today. I'm going to be running the benches on the clean OS install, when I get that done.

Yes, its the new EVO.

School first - we waited this long. WE can all wait some more! This thread is turning into AJay thread!:thup:

PS - IF your mind isn't blown brother, well you know the rest!:rock:

Nice buy! I'm waiting for another paycheck and will either get the 500 or 750 :)

Nice buy! I'm waiting for another paycheck and will either get the 500 or 750 :)

I believe the benches I saw showed the 500GB performing better than the 750GB, no clue why. :shrug:

Just make sure you get an adapter if you're going into a 3.5" slot since it doesn't come with one.

Yes, its the new EVO.

Did you watch the video? The acting is hilarious... lol

Did you watch the video? The acting is hilarious... lol

It is pretty funny to watch, but that's also directed toward the general populous, who the idea of an SSD is still new and scary to.

So, update on the testing.
First, I thought the EVO SSD case was empty because it was simply that light. My Mushkin SSD felt HEAVY next to it!
Second, I got Windows 7 installed, WEI score is 7.9! Finishing up the updates and software (since I need the PC for school and work) this morning, but this thing is definitely fast.

Now, I'm not normally too impressed with bundled software on things like this drive. Samsung did amazing though, from the menu you can do:
- Performance Benchmark
- Performance Optimization
- Firmware Update
- OS Optimization
- Over Provisioning
- Secure Erase
- RAPID Mode

The interface is so easy to use, as soon as I restart from updates I'll be setting up RAPID Mode!

Back