• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade E2160 for Mother in law?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcgamer4life

I'm getting my hands on a Compaq Presario desktop for free that I'm going to give to my mother in law to replace her 12 year old Dell. It's got 2gb of RAM and an E2160. Supposedly the motherboard only supports 2gb max, so no room for upgrades there.

Do you guys think spending $30 or so on a used LGA775 processor would net a noticeable difference over the E2160? If so, what are some of the 'top performers' from the 775 era? I was an AMD guy at that time, never paid much attention to Intel's offerings. Since it's an OEM motherboard and case, I probably won't even attempt to OC it.

Thanks!

For web/email/social media/solitaire type use, no I don't think it would be noticable. But if the board supports 1333fsb the best low cost upgrade you would get is going to be something like a q8300(quad core @2.5ghz) or e8400(dual core @3.0ghz).

Back