• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid damaged Macbook Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoD_tattoo

Ok, I was given a 2012 Macbook Pro that had cough syrup spilled down the keyboard. It was then operated with the liquid in there and shut off. Wouldn't start back up.

After taking it apart, I found a very small amount on the bottom of the wires, but 98% of it still in the keyboard itself. Took out the logic board, wiped down just in case, reinstalled.

Booted right up. Got into everything, was running like a champ. Upon attempting a reboot, it wouldnt start. Took apart again, reinstalled, starts right up. Attempt a restart, nothing.

So I can repeat this process and get it to boot every time. Not sure where to go next. Any ideas? Maybe the power button itself is bad? When I reinstalled the logic board and get it running, it seems to turn itself on when I plug it in, so maybe just the power button is no good?

Looking for advice, ideas, thoughts? It seems like I can sell it and get a few bucks for it since it is so new, but I would prefer to get it running reliably and keep it. I don't care about the keyboard issue.

Thanks

Update..

Upon completely taking this thing apart, I learned the power button is directly connected to the keyboard. The wiring for it goes into the keyboard itself. Upon getting it apart, this thing had a ton of cough syrup in the keyboard. I know for a fact that the keyboard did not work, so I'm thinking that is the reason the power button wouldn't work as well. I think I'm going to take a chance at a replacement keyboard.

Update.

It works!! $25 and I have myself a Mac. Took me all day to get Mountain Lion installed, but its running like new. So maybe this will help someone in the future. My symptoms are listed in the original post, and a keyboard replacement worked for me. YMMV of course.

Back