• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Play Version or itunes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Folks I'm in between with equal content(Movies) on itunes and Google Play Store.

If I get Star Trek into the Darkness on itunes, I'm pretty confident of displaying it in HD, through either Apple TV, or any of my devices.

My question is more about the Play Store (which I would prefer) I would be disinclined to use the Chromecast... My HTPC has a faster wired connection, but will it be streamed in HD over the web? Or will it be streamed in HD over the Chromecast(Provided my 35MbX35Mb Fios is fast enough. The Wifi runs close to the wired speed, depending on my distance.

I know my Airs will play everything over Chrome, and my Android device's as well. Looks like the limitation is the ipad and sending it to the Apple TV over Airplay.

So can anyone confirm that if you buy a Play Store HD movie where and when it will stream HD?

I rarely need to see a movie before the BR comes out, but this is one of those rare exceptions where I don't want to wait for Redbox or the 10th when its on sale. I would like to watch it on the HTPC tonight, in as high a quality sound and vid as possible.

I can see why folks Torrent...I simply want to give one of these Co's my money and its a PITA figuring out my eco system!:(

Last edited:
So I ended up waiting and rented the BR today...than the wife came home with the special $18 BR,DVD,Digital copy of it! We will watch and if its good enough will maybe keep it.

I hate to say it but Apple TV seems to provide the higher quality stream compared to Google Play.(To answer my OP)

Sorry for the necro resurrection(not really super old) but I came across this thread searching for options, as I'm committed to dumping Directv, sometime in the coming months. I'm not sure [yet] if I need an Apple TV or Chromecast, my TV does have an RJ45 port; also have a Wii that I've only recently began exploring. The Youtube channel on the Wii streams OK, but using the onscreen keyboard is horrible. I noticed that it can pair with a bluetooth device, will try that with my N4 when I get the time.

Tim I didn't find my chromcast to be useful and gave it away to a friend. The Apple TV doesn't get used much either.

The chromecast needs an open HDMI port and the only place I had one already has an Htpc, a PS3 and a FiOS HD box. So streaming things to it required a portable device...laptop,phone,tablet...I never found the need to use one of these when the other devices were available. It would just kill the battery.

I wanted it to simply stream my home videos to a TV. The way an iOS device streams to the apple TV. In the end it was easier to transfer them to a PC or MBA and than send it to the TV. Thus avoiding killing the phone battery.

There must be good uses for the chromecast and they are cheap. I just never utilized it. With 3 free months of Netflix it only cost me $15.

Back