• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on a new card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lukee

Been away for a long time and wanted to purcahse a new card. Wanted to get the best bang for my buck.

Budget between $275 and $400 - would prefer lower if possible.

Monitor resolution is 1920 x 1080, but may get a 2560 x 1080 monitor or 2560 x 1440 down the road(like 6 months to a year)

I was thinking of 760 4GB, 770 4GB. Open to 600 series if they are a great deal.

I game, but don't need to run games with maxed out settings. I prefer good gameplay, so if I have to run at medium settings, that's fine.

Thank you in advance.

i have a 660 and can play anything on high/ultra right now. only paid 200 dollars. i like it alot.

What games are you playing?
What is your system currently?

World of Tanks
Marvel Heroes
Neverwinter Night
Battlefield 4
Everquest 2
Defiance

I play most RPG, MMO, First Person shooter games.

I currently an running a HD-6990 but wanted to go back to Nvidia as I dislike the AMD drivers.

Yes, I know my current card can run most games, but I want to move away from that.

rest of system is
EVGA X58 Classified 3-way SLI MB
i7-940 CPU
16 GB Ram

nope. its simply the gtx660 ran me 194 dollars on newegg. and i can play bf3 maxed out at 40-60 fps

I would not recommend a GTX 660, at all. If it were going to be a lower card that can hang with the rest, get yourself a GTX 760 @ $250~ from NewEgg/Amazon, it is a rebadged 660Ti. Good price for what it is.

Of course, if you plan on going higher than 1920 x 1080, I would recommend at least the GTX 770.

I would not recommend a GTX 660, at all. If it were going to be a lower card that can hang with the rest, get yourself a GTX 760 @ $250~ from NewEgg/Amazon, it is a rebadged 660Ti. Good price for what it is.

Of course, if you plan on going higher than 1920 x 1080, I would recommend at least the GTX 770.

why wouldn't you recommend a 660 i haven't had any problems with it. and for the price it can't be beat

I'm playing @1440 and let me tell you one card isn't enough to play with highest settings enables. Keep that in mind! The good thing is, if you are currently playing @1080, one 770 will be suffice. Next, once you are ready for the new monitor, you can also save for a second card which could be even be cheaper down the road.

There's one game I have called god mode, which doesn't support sli and I have to disable sli to play it. Sometimes I forget to re-enable sli and I can tell as soon as there are multiple object moving I'm running with one card.

why wouldn't you recommend a 660 i haven't had any problems with it. and for the price it can't be beat

Simple, $50 more gets you 1152 cuda cores vs 960 on the 660, it also gets you a 256-bit memory interface instead of the 192-bit interface on GTX 660.

Here you go:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-760-review-gk104,3542.html

760 beats 660ti and it costs less. The 660Ti goes above the 660, so spending that extra $50, which is still below his "budget", you get a card the demolishes the GTX 660.

I'm playing @1440 and let me tell you one card isn't enough to play with highest settings enables. Keep that in mind! The good thing is, if you are currently playing @1080, one 770 will be suffice. Next, once you are ready for the new monitor, you can also save for a second card which could be even be cheaper down the road.

There's one game I have called god mode, which doesn't support sli and I have to disable sli to play it. Sometimes I forget to re-enable sli and I can tell as soon as there are multiple object moving I'm running with one card.

Thank you for posting. @1440p at least a 770. $400 budget is about all that would allow.

Have read people running 2 760 in SLI. That would go over budget and be around $500. Interesting note is that one 760 @ 1080 seems to be the "sweet spot" for performance/price.

One other suggestion is if you could use your current card and SLI with another one? Wouldn't be too expensive if you could find one on the classifieds or find one on sale somewhere.

How soon are you planning on going to 27" 1440p monitor?

Thanks guys. I'd love to get the 770 but it's a bit out of my price range right now. I think I'm going to get the 760 4GB for just under $300.

I have to update my sig. I have 2 eVGA GTX 760 4GB SLI overclocked to 1230/7000 and I can run every game maxed out at 60+ fps (vsync on).

Grab a 4GB GTX 760 now and, later, when you can afford it grab a 2nd one for some SLI goodness. You can even go with 3 of them for some tri-SLI goodness.:drool:

Back