• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Saberkitty 990FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

So I have the Sabertooth 990fx. It's the original, not the R2. With a FX-8xxx on the way I am moving from my ddr3 1600 to at least 1866. I was also looking at DDR3 2000 or something higher. I know the highest my Mobo says it supports is 1866 but didnt know if there was a way to get something faster or if there was even a point. Should I just grab the 1866 and call it a day or is there something better.

For the difference in price I'd pick up the 2133 with some decent timings. G.Skill seems to be the best match for the AMD. The 2000 mark seems to be the sweet spot for my system. Although I have run it at 2400 and 1800 depending on what I'm doing at the time.

I am looking at pretty much your exact memory. I have the sniper series right now at 1600. My question though, will my mobo support above 1866. From your sig you have a R2.0. Are the R2.0 only capable of support memory above 1866 or am I am to do that as well. I've tried to find this answer out on my own but generally find people talking about doing with with a R2.0.

The R2.0 only officially supports 1866 as well but There was a setting for 2133 in the Bios. Can't say it's the same on the R1but it would be easy for you to check next time you boot.

Do you have the UEFI bios on that? When I select my mem freq in the bios I get a fairly large list of frequencies. At worst you can use a higher FSB to OC the memory. If there's no setting higher than 1600, I would thik at least 1866 would be available since the board supports it?

I'm going to update my bios and see if anything changes. I just looked at the version and it's pretty old. I have to update it to support the 8350 anyway. I'll report back once I've done this.

I'm on 0705 right now:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX/#support_CPU
second oldest bios for this board.

Edit: well - those are always fun updates. No dice. Still says DDR3 1600 and yes - I do now have the UEFI bios on this board.

Edit2: Ok - hold on. There was a new option that I don't believe was there before. So when you go into advance mode there was Auto and Manual before to allow me to change setting e.g. CPU ratio, memory speed, NB ect. There is now a D.O.C.P. option that once selected gave me memory speeds up to DDR3 2400 :drool: - I'm guessing this is what you have yours on to see those speeds. When it's set to manual it just had 1600 has the highest.

Last edited:
The motherboard will only expose up to 1600mhz with a PH-II CPU. When you install an FX it will give you additional memory divisors.

I personally run 2052 on RAM with all of my AMD boards with FX CPUs.

The motherboard will only expose up to 1600mhz with a PH-II CPU. When you install an FX it will give you additional memory divisors.

I personally run 2052 on RAM with all of my AMD boards with FX CPUs.

About 2040 DDR3 here. Maybe a shade higher if I have to change the HT frequency.
RGone...ster.

Also, for whatever reason after I updated the bios I was able to get the same overclock on 1.425 instead of 1.45v. Anyone heard of this before?

Such outcomes can occur at anytime when flashing a bios that reprograms how the circuitry on the board responds. In your situation the outcome seems good. I have seen users flash a bios and have to flash backwards since the later firmware did not match up so well with all the components plugged into their board. Good luck.
RGone...

Back