• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plug CPU fan into a Chassis Fan Header?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xeromynd

Registered
Hi there.

I recently purchased a Corsair H100i liquid CPU cooler, and have an ASUS Rampage III Formula mobo. The way that the motherboard fan headers and the corsair's one 3-pin cooling block connector are situated, it makes more sense for me to plug the cooling block fan back cable into the 'CHA_FAN' header in the middle of my motherboard.

Because of this however, one of my H100i's fans has to be plugged into the Rampage III's 'CPU_FAN' header. Is this ok? Or unsafe for voltages or something, I know CPU fans usually run around 2700rpm no?

Note that the cooling block's header is only 3 pin anyway, so I'm not losing any PWM capability here.

Here's a crudely painted picture of how I have my fans plugged in now:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gt0ny1ja4pxgt0/RampageIII.png

Thanks!

try it :D

You should keep the H100 fans plugged into the H100 pump/block. This allows the H100 to control its fan speed as required.

If you plug one of the h100 fans into the CPU_FAN header, its gonna run at full speed, unless you can change to CPU_FAN from PWM to Voltage in the bios. At full speed its going to be noisy

Back