• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aquaero 6 PWM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTXJackBauer

Water Cooling Senior Member, #TEAMH20HNO
Good news is looks like Aqua Computers is updating their controller to PWM. Having the Corsair Link from my understanding being one of the only PWM controllers out there, other than a PWM fan header on the MB, seems like Aqua has finally joined in as well.

You can use PWM control or voltage control on all channels. You can use 3-pin
or 4-pin fans on all channels.

The screen is the same as the one on the Aquaero 5. Only the main controller
board has been changed. Everything else is the same.

The delivery of the new Aquaero series will start at the beginning of October this year.

All these new features have their price... we understand that not everyone needs that massive amount of power so the aquaero 5 series will stay in our assortment of goods. That means the aquaero 6 will not replace the aquaero 5 - it will extend its possibilities. So if you want to enter the world of aquaeros it still starts with 59.90 Euro for the aquaero 5 LT and will end with the aquaero 6 XT as the top-of-the line model for 179.90 Euro. The aquaero 6 will be also available as a PRO version for 149.90 Euro. A LT variant of the aquaero 6 will not be available.

SOURCE

For that amount of money, I'd say meh......

I payed $150 for Corsair Link and Lighting node when it first came out. I would jump ship in a heart beat. EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING would run off that Aquaero. The software is great etc.

As for the price, it comes from Germany and the parts used are pristine. Software has been worked on for 10 years and being one of the only 2 PWM controllers, I can see why that price is a bit high but you're buying top of the line quality as for a controller.

If I bought one of these, the problem is where the hell would I fit it on my 900D being only 4 bays. lol :p

That was the whole point of my comment. I would love to upgrade from my aq5 lt but I'm not willing to spend that much for a superfluous lcd screen, especially when I'm going to be hiding the unit anyway. But maybe I'm the minority, I don't currently own a case with a 5.25bay.

I am looking very closely to purchasing the Aquaero 6 XT in replacement of the $150 paper weight Corsair Link. I signed up to their forums to ask some questions in regards to their product. Feel free to chime in if anyone has any info. I might add that some of my questions might seem "noobish" but since I'am not familiar with the Aquaero product line I decided to ask anyway to be 200% sure before spending a premium price for it.

Hello there. I have a few questions since I am looking to purchase this product soon.

Will the Aquaero 6 strictly work with Aqua products only?

Will the Aquasuite 2013 be in english and will you have full control of the XT without the need of the remote? Can I control the whole unit via Software, Remote and on the display's LCD Touch Screen?

Will there be english directions on which headers on the back of the Aquaero 6 is PWM and which are 3 pin (voltage) backwards compatible? How many total PWM headers does it have on the back? I am looking to daisy chain a few radiator fans together with Y PWM splitter cables. The most one channel will have is anywhere from 4-6 PWM rad fans if PWM headers are limited. All my radiator fans are PWM controlled as well as the Pumps with the exception of a few case fans that are 3 pin non PWM.

Will I be connected via USB to the motherboard? Can the Aquaero 6 shutdown the PC if a problem should arise? Pumps not working or no flow or water temps too high etc?

Can I use my Pump Cable with my PWM Pumps (MCP-35X2) on one of the headers on the back? Will my readings only be in RPM or is there a calibrated profile for those pumps to show up as pumps and not as fans?

Can I use a Phobya Water Temp Sensor on the 2 pins in the back?

I will also be looking to purchase the MPS Flow Sensor - 400. Is there a specific header for it on the back of the Aquaero 6? (I am going to sell off my Koolance flow meter and adapters since I am not familiar with any electrical modding.) Also will this tubing work no problem with this flow sensor?

What is the relay piece used for? I've heard I might need that.

How long till the shipments of the Black XT Front Plate of the Aquaero 6 to Frozencpu/Performance-pcs?

What is the warranty on these Aqua products I stated above?

Sorry for all the questions but would like to know more about a product at such a premium price. Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks!
:)

Source

Jack -

Their support doesn't read the English section on their forum as regularly as one would hope or expect. However, their e-mail support is very good. If you have questions, use their support system and they'll get back to you pretty quickly.

http://aquacomputer.de/supportformular.html

The support form is in German, but they have members on their staff whose English is perfect, so the response will be in English.

I don't have time to look over all your questions now, but I'll give it a crack later.

Jack -

Their support doesn't read the English section on their forum as regularly as one would hope or expect. However, their e-mail support is very good. If you have questions, use their support system and they'll get back to you pretty quickly.

http://aquacomputer.de/supportformular.html

The support form is in German, but they have members on their staff whose English is perfect, so the response will be in English.

I don't have time to look over all your questions now, but I'll give it a crack later.

Thanks! :salute:

Hey Jack. Nice to see you. I am also looking at these things to replace that piece of crap Link that I have. Let me know what you find out.

My question is I want to control as many fans as I can. What additional parts do I need, what do they cost and where can I find them?

Here's a post on the AQ forums of someone who is familiar with their products in response to my question that is quoted my above post.

While I don't have an AE 6, and I do not have a very sophisticated cooling system, I do keep up on the technology, and will attempt to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

My AE 5 is working with 3 fans, a pump, a temp sensor, and a flow meter, NONE of which are Aquacomputer products. If anything, the AE 6 should have even wider latitude to use other companies products.

Aqua Suite 2013-4, the current version, is fully in English. I don't know about full control of the XT without the remote, but the AS 2013 software can control a lot of functions, a lot. I'd recommend using the software, and maybe the remote - if needed. Some people think that the huge number of screens available on the LCD makes it difficult to use and will drive you to this state: :crazy:

Yes, the markings on the back of the AE units are in English. All four of the "fan" headers are capable of both PWM and voltage control. Daisy chaining multiple fans together on a Y-cable is possible, but be sure that only one RPM signal is reported back to the AE.

You can connect yourself to the motherboard, via USB, if you want to, but I think you'd be better off connecting the AE6 to the motherboard. And, yes you can, and probably should, connect it via USB. And a very emphatic "yes," the AE 5 & 6 can shut down the PC on any of the events you listed, and more. Be careful experimenting around with this capability though: You don't want to set the shut down points such that the AE shuts down the computer as soon as it booted up. Pain in the ***. But it will certainly shut down the PC based on parameters you set.

Not sure if you can use the Swiftech cable. I think that if it reports only one RPM signal to the AE6, then you can use it. For control of the Swiftech pumps (I use a non-pwm Swiftech pump) I connected it to one of the fan headers and can control it via voltage. I usually don't control the pump, though. It is probably best to leave that running at full speed if you can. You can use flow rate to control things, but that data won't come in through the PWM connection to the pump, it will come in through the flow meter. And see below about the flow meter.

I use that very same Phobya temp sensor, so, yes, it will work (got it from the same place too). If it helps you, the AE 6 can use everything that works on any of the AE5 series units, and more.

I'm not sure if there is a dedicated input for that specific flow meter or not. There is a dedicated input for a flow meter though. I use the Koolance INS-FM-17N on mine. Electrical modding is not what you have to do to make it work. What you have to do is physical: remove the pins from the two pin Koolance plug, and put them in a three pin plug, on the outside, leaving the center pin unconnected. This is where you use the calibration profiles for different flow meters, not in the pump power setting. If you have a flow meter like the FM-17, you do NOT use the frequency adapter or anything like that, just change the plug and plug the flow meter directly in to the flow meter input on AE. The calibration for the FM-17 is 197 impulses per liter.

The relay output is used to control a relay that, in turn, controls something with current or voltage requirements that are too high to control directly with the AE.

I've got no idea about shipment times.

You can probably look around on the Aquacomputer web site and find information about the warranty. If you include the forums, the same goes for all the info I've given above.

The Aquacomputer products can do things that no other cooling system controllers can do, way more. And they can be programmed in very detailed and complex ways if you want to. They are also built like tanks, and designed well, too. There can be quite a learning curve, depending on how you want to use the Aquacomputer products, but they are the best and most flexible available.

I will keep everyone updated as soon as I get more information.

Hey Jack. Nice to see you. I am also looking at these things to replace that piece of crap Link that I have. Let me know what you find out.

Omg, Randolla! Welcome to OCFs! :rofl: Tell me about it. We tried on that forum but got nowhere. It's funny I actually went there today and messaged someone in relation to their frustration with the product as to no answers or a fix to anything really. I am surprised there's no lawsuit yet. :nuts: Checking the forums as we speak and some of those thread titles look heated than ever. I think the masses might have found the forum site.

Last but not least, I can't stand that Wytnyt guy. Since around release I remember him. He's either a hardcore fanboy or some relation to the link, beta tester or a hideous employee trying to water down the fire OR from the looks of his profile, a old grandpa who is very ignorant that has too much time in his hands and doesn't believe companies can sell bad products. Always blaming human error and telling people if it "works" do not update it. (Kind of like the old school saying, eh?) Who says that and what world does he live in. :bang head :mad:

My question is I want to control as many fans as I can. What additional parts do I need, what do they cost and where can I find them?

You can buy the Aquaero 6 from Frozencpu or Performance-pc. They range from $220-$240 and have a ..........wait for it........wait for it........ stable and usable software. :attn: It's basically a Aquaero 5 beefed up with more features.

Check the gentlemen's answers to my questions above. Should give you some insight and check out the videos up top.

Last edited:
The number of fans the AQ6 can control is limited by the amount of current required. From the aq6 manual.
aquaero 6:
Maximum current is 2.5 A per output independent of output voltage, resulting in a maximum power of 30 W at 12 V. Outputs will be switched off if amplifier temperatures reach a critical level and will automatically be reactivated when cooled down. If an output current of 3 A is exceeded, the output will be permanently disabled. To reactivate the output, the aquaero (or the complete PC) has to be disconnected from power for a short period of
time. The fan outputs are short-circuit proof.
All fan connectors can be used for conventional fans or PWM controlled
fans. For PWM fans, select “Outputs” → “Fans” → “Fan 1-4” from the menu
and set “Control mode” to “PWM controlled”.

Will the Aquaero 6 strictly work with Aqua products only?

Maybe I'm not understanding the question. Certain features are Aqua product specific like the "Aquabus" headers, but fan headers are fan headers. You can use them to power whatever you'd like.

Will the Aquasuite 2013 be in english and will you have full control of the XT without the need of the remote? Can I control the whole unit via Software, Remote and on the display's LCD Touch Screen?

Every setting available on the unit is accessible viathe Aquasuite software as long as it's plugged into a USB header. The software is in English. There's a bit of a learning curve to it, and documentation regarding the software is generally sparse, but it's pretty straightforward.

Will there be english directions on which headers on the back of the Aquaero 6 is PWM and which are 3 pin (voltage) backwards compatible? How many total PWM headers does it have on the back? I am looking to daisy chain a few radiator fans together with Y PWM splitter cables. The most one channel will have is anywhere from 4-6 PWM rad fans if PWM headers are limited. All my radiator fans are PWM controlled as well as the Pumps with the exception of a few case fans that are 3 pin non PWM.

If they're using a similar design on the 6 as the 5, there's an overlay on the board. That overlay is printed in English as seen here:

aquero5.jpg

Will I be connected via USB to the motherboard? Can the Aquaero 6 shutdown the PC if a problem should arise? Pumps not working or no flow or water temps too high etc?

Yes, but it requires extra hardware cabling. For some reason the software can't initiate a shutdown within Windows, it has to be done via hardware, so you have to splice into the main power connector on the motherboard (they have a kit with a passthru connector) so that the board can imitate the power button being pressed. I find that to be inelegant and overly complex, so I prefer to use the Events feature in Speedfan to set up emergency shutdowns.

Can I use my Pump Cable with my PWM Pumps (MCP-35X2) on one of the headers on the back? Will my readings only be in RPM or is there a calibrated profile for those pumps to show up as pumps and not as fans?

I don't understand the question. Why would you need a calibrated profile to show rpm? Each fan header can be named how you see fit in the software. There IS a "pumps" tab in Aquasuite, but that's only for Aqua brand pumps that connect via the special Aquabus connection.

Can I use a Phobya Water Temp Sensor on the 2 pins in the back?

Yes, if it's a standard spec temp sensor.

I will also be looking to purchase the MPS Flow Sensor - 400. Is there a specific header for it on the back of the Aquaero 6? (I am going to sell off my Koolance flow meter and adapters since I am not familiar with any electrical modding.) Also will this tubing work no problem with this flow sensor?

It's listed as compatible in the manual, the flow sensor has its own header on the board, and the flow meter ships without fittings. I don't understand the tubing question.

What is the relay piece used for? I've heard I might need that.

It's a switch that can be either electrically open or closed. It can be used to turn things on or off. The relay connection is used with the extra wiring I mentioned earlier to perform shutdowns using the Aquasuite software.

How long till the shipments of the Black XT Front Plate of the Aquaero 6 to Frozencpu/Performance-pcs?

Damn, first one I have no idea about.

What is the warranty on these Aqua products I stated above?

Ask them. I couldn't find it online and the packaging for my unit is all packed away.

Some of your questions can be answered here: http://aquacomputer.de/tl_files/aquacomputer/downloads/manuals/aquaero_5_6_en_2013_11_08.pdf

Two notes that I want to make sure you're aware of. There are technically SIX PWM headers on the Aquaero 6. However, two of them do not provide 12V power or rpm feedback, they only output a PWM signal. These connectors are the 2-pin connectors in the corner of the board. They could control an MCP35x. Provide power via molex, but PWM control from the Aquaero. The big issue is that I've never seen 2-pin PWM cables for this purpose.

The second thing to be aware of is that if you want hardware temps from your motherboard (CPU, SYS, etc) or GPU to show up in the Aquasuite software, you have to use either "Open Hardware Monitor" or AIDA64. No other programs pass the temp data to Aquasuite for some reason.

Back