• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aquaero 6 PWM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think there is a problem...I know there is a problem where the Swiftech D5 PWM pump and Aquaero 6 Pro are concerned. What I don't know is if the problem extends beyond the Swiftech D5 PWM pump to other D5 PWM pumps or maybe even PWM fans. I also don't know if the root cause of the issue is a deficient Aquaero 6 PWM implementation or something in the Swiftech D5 PWM pump that would cause a compatibility problem with the Aquaero 6 but still function correctly with a MB CPU fan header. The latter seems like a pretty remote possibility but stranger things have happened and one has to keep an open mind.

It would seem that all PWM pumps don't have the issue because someone is using the MCP35X2 with good results. I haven't sifted through all of the threads/posts so I don't know if PWM fans will be an issue or not. Perhaps, like PWM pumps, some PWM fans will work and others will not. I have a Corsair SP120 PWM fan that I ordered specifically to test with the Aquaero 6. It is just a matter of when I can get around to shutting down my system and putting it up on the bench for a test. But if people with the Aquaero 6 have other PWM fans to test then the more the merrier.

It will probably take more Aquaero 6 owners using PWM controlled devices to step up and report their experiences. This may be a very small pool of individuals we're talking about here so it might take a good length of time for the picture to become clear and fully developed. Someone on the Aquacomputer English forum has said that AC and Swiftech are aware of the problem reports and they are looking into it.

Until this issue is settled one way or the other I still think the best advice for someone considering the Aquaero 6 and wants to use it to control D5 pumps would be to use voltage control or to buy the Aquacomputer D5 USB Aquabus pumps.

Last edited:
AquaComputer apparently did not research the standard on PWM Frequency for motherboard controlled devices.
The Aquaero 6 outputs 15khz PWM frequency.
The Defacto standard is.. 25khz.

I measured my motherboard and it's very close to 25khz PWM frequency and my Swiftech MCP655-PWM works fine from a MB header.

The reason why it's running at 3000 RPM is that when the PWM line is held high (+5v) the pump will run at 60% speed. Max speed is 5000 RPM, 60% of 5000 is 3000.
When you move the slider towards 100% the effective voltage on the PWM line goes up until it finally reaches the voltage needed to trigger the pump to run at 60%. If you disconnect the line it will also run at 60%. Default value in case something happens to the controller it will run and keep your system somewhat cool.

AquaComputer needs to get off their duff and up the PWM freq to somewhere between 21khz to 28khz instead of 15khz.

I don't think there is a problem...I know there is a problem where the Swiftech D5 PWM pump and Aquaero 6 Pro are concerned. What I don't know is if the problem extends beyond the Swiftech D5 PWM pump to other D5 PWM pumps or maybe even PWM fans. I also don't know if the root cause of the issue is a deficient Aquaero 6 PWM implementation or something in the Swiftech D5 PWM pump that would cause a compatibility problem with the Aquaero 6 but still function correctly with a MB CPU fan header. The latter seems like a pretty remote possibility but stranger things have happened and one has to keep an open mind.

It would seem that all PWM pumps don't have the issue because someone is using the MCP35X2 with good results. I haven't sifted through all of the threads/posts so I don't know if PWM fans will be an issue or not. Perhaps, like PWM pumps, some PWM fans will work and others will not. I have a Corsair SP120 PWM fan that I ordered specifically to test with the Aquaero 6. It is just a matter of when I can get around to shutting down my system and putting it up on the bench for a test. But if people with the Aquaero 6 have other PWM fans to test then the more the merrier.

It will probably take more Aquaero 6 owners using PWM controlled devices to step up and report their experiences. This may be a very small pool of individuals we're talking about here so it might take a good length of time for the picture to become clear and fully developed. Someone on the Aquacomputer English forum has said that AC and Swiftech are aware of the problem reports and they are looking into it.

Until this issue is settled one way or the other I still think the best advice for someone considering the Aquaero 6 and wants to use it to control D5 pumps would be to use voltage control or to buy the Aquacomputer D5 USB Aquabus pumps.

AquaComputer apparently did not research the standard on PWM Frequency for motherboard controlled devices.
The Aquaero 6 outputs 15khz PWM frequency.
The Defacto standard is.. 25khz.

I measured my motherboard and it's very close to 25khz PWM frequency and my Swiftech MCP655-PWM works fine from a MB header.

The reason why it's running at 3000 RPM is that when the PWM line is held high (+5v) the pump will run at 60% speed. Max speed is 5000 RPM, 60% of 5000 is 3000.
When you move the slider towards 100% the effective voltage on the PWM line goes up until it finally reaches the voltage needed to trigger the pump to run at 60%. If you disconnect the line it will also run at 60%. Default value in case something happens to the controller it will run and keep your system somewhat cool.

AquaComputer needs to get off their duff and up the PWM freq to somewhere between 21khz to 28khz instead of 15khz.

From Aquero...

"The aquaero Outputs 25KHz on Fan headers. The PWM Outputs (2-Pin) can used for Controlling LEDs or other 12V Devices. This outputs use 15KHz. The PWM 2-Pin Output is not a valid control signal for fans. The 12V supply is modulated with the PWM not a control signal. This is a big difference."

"The Pump needs an external resistor to run with the standard pwm control signal from the aquaero. The Developers from the pump has forgotten this."

For the price tag and the other assortments I was going to purchase, I am happy I passed on a $300+ purchase. I was going to get this to fully control the whole rig and H20 system but it seems too complicating at times. Everything starts off as German in their support systems and eventually english comes along. Somethings are hard to understand as I've heard. Anyhow, I am hoping some US company does something similar like this at a much more competent price range. I'll be hoping on that bandwagon in no time as long as the beta came out unscathed.

Yeah well, it isn't as if there is a lot of competition, is there?

mCubed has/had some nice nifty "small-scale" controllers
Watercool has their Heatmaster
Koolance has their TMS & CTR systems
and then there is that thing which is much more as a fan controller: the Bitfenix Recon

and.... the thing which can do/control everything you want -if you can scuttle the learning curve- the Arduino :) http://www.arduino.cc/

Now to get them to give a clue where and what size resistor to install.
PWM signal wire to ground?
PWM signal wire to 5v?
10K?

I would like to know so I can finish my build.

-Junkie

EDIT:
Seems being an Electronic Tech as well as avid tinkerer(?) I know that a 10K (typical value for pull up or pull down) resistor will not pass enough current to burn something up.
I experimented and found that by placing a 10K pull up resistor from the PWM wire to the +5v rail I was able to gain complete PWM control of the Swiftech MCP655-PWM pump. Maxed at 5000 RPMs at 100% down to 800 RPMs at 25%. Lower and the pump stopped until I reached 0% at which point the pump went to 100% again.
Problem solved.

From Aquero...

"The aquaero Outputs 25KHz on Fan headers. The PWM Outputs (2-Pin) can used for Controlling LEDs or other 12V Devices. This outputs use 15KHz. The PWM 2-Pin Output is not a valid control signal for fans. The 12V supply is modulated with the PWM not a control signal. This is a big difference."

"The Pump needs an external resistor to run with the standard pwm control signal from the aquaero. The Developers from the pump has forgotten this."

Last edited:
thx jack for the kind words
im sorry if i can get my LC working properly,,,well actually i now have 4 of them working like a charm and even provided vids of each one for the dis-believers.
and no im not associated with corsair other than using their products.i also own a aq6 hence is why i found your lovely post here
hopefully your aquaero is more ''plug and play'' so youll be able to get it working or your likely will be on another site posting nice comments about people here with working aquaero's...
i also live in a world where one actually learns how to install properly

Oh god. The Corsair Fanboy has landed. :facepalm:

You've admittedly announced of having trouble with the Link but come out swinging home runs a week later telling newcomers with issues that its their fault/user error and not the actually botched product.

You're always "damage controlling" for the company for some reason. You're been called out by many on the Corsair Forums for it. Maybe you work for them, maybe you're their botched beta tester who just wants to suck up for free stuff or maybe you have your life savings invested (Stocks) into the company. I really don't know but my only recommendation here would be to take your tush back to your fan club and let me be at peace here.

Oh god. The Corsair Fanboy has landed. :facepalm:

You've admittedly announced of having trouble with the Link but come out swinging home runs a week later telling newcomers with issues that its their fault/user error and not the actually botched product.

You're always "damage controlling" for the company for some reason. You're been called out by many on the Corsair Forums for it. Maybe you work for them, maybe you're their botched beta tester who just wants to suck up for free stuff or maybe you have your life savings invested (Stocks) into the company. I really don't know but my only recommendation here would be to take your tush back to your fan club and let me be at peace here.

i would have gladly taken my fanboy butt and kept it there had you not brought me up in Oc like a whining lil ad0lesant.want me to leave?simple,,edit your post about me as slammin works both ways
yes i did cook a Commander,yes it was my fault,so big deal at least im adult enough to accept fault rather than blame it on the product
judging from the question you've asked regarding the Aquaero your very much lost on it as you were the LC
i do know if you cant get the link to work,the aquaero is gonna be wayyyyyy above your novice abilities

:clap::clap::clap: just noticed in post # 46 you admit the Aquaero is too complicated for you
as the LC was
2 words
motherboard control--its truly plug and play:clap:

Last edited:
Well, after many months that went by, I had asked questions in the Aquaero 6 english forum and only had members who were looking to purchase or had bought the controller respond to me with the information they knew themselves. I was thankful of them but would have really liked to hear from Aqua themselves. One of the main reasons I didn't purchased it otherwise I could have been convinced by a representative what works and what doesn't which would have been installed by now. Anyways, enough of the bickering, I found some updated posts there and figured I'd post some needed information to those that it maybe of concern.

Someone asked...
Does anyone know what is the minimum rpm the AQ D5 with aquabus can go down to when connected to the Aquaero 6 XT?Will it function exactly as the swiftech 655 pwm

A forum admin, I am assuming some type of rep/staff for Aqua/Aquaero, responds to the questions.....

I do not know the rpm number but it would be useless anyway since it varies massively from pump to pump. The controller in our USB variant rebuilds the adjusting knob that a regular D5 pump has. So the speed range is the same as with a normal D5 pump.

By the way: Swiftechs PWM variant can not be used with the aquaero 6 because this pump does not follow the PWM standard and lacks the required 5V pullup circuit for the PWM signal.

I remember a member having issues with their 2 D5 PWM pumps (Swiftech?) a while back. My questions would be to Swiftech, why they haven't implemented the PWM standard? I believe corsair link had the same issue as well with some 3rd party PWM fans and something similar along those lines was said, if I recall correctly.

Source

Interesting enough, there are some other questions left unanswered. Not too support friendly if you ask me. They should work on that end.

Did you send a ticket through their support system? I've had much better luck with that than their forum. Quick response time and a complete answer to my question. Shoggy was the only staffer I remember posting on the English forum, and he's been absent from that forum for a while. Too busy selling his sandwiches perhaps.

EDIT: LOL, I just realized I already told you that on page 1.

Did you send a ticket through their support system? I've had much better luck with that than their forum. Quick response time and a complete answer to my question. Shoggy was the only staffer I remember posting on the English forum, and he's been absent from that forum for a while. Too busy selling his sandwiches perhaps.

EDIT: LOL, I just realized I already told you that on page 1.

lol Totally forgot about that but most won't know about that regardless. They should be more in tune with that part of their forum than just the German speaking part.

Owner's forum does not automatically equal support forum. They have a support system in place. It'd be typically German of them to expect you to ask for help via that system.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice if they gave more English support via the forum, I'd like that as well. The reality indicates that this ins't the case though, so I go with what works. I'm happy that they have an actual functioning support system in the language I speak. Heaven knows I've dealt with companies that don't provide that in the past.

Omg, Randolla! Welcome to OCFs! :rofl: Tell me about it. We tried on that forum but got nowhere. It's funny I actually went there today and messaged someone in relation to their frustration with the product as to no answers or a fix to anything really. I am surprised there's no lawsuit yet. :nuts: Checking the forums as we speak and some of those thread titles look heated than ever. I think the masses might have found the forum site.

I made the mistake of buying an H100i, specifically because what Link is supposed to do, sounds good. Problem is, it doesn't do any of it, and certainly isn't reliable. I had one of their Link enabled supplies on order, and after getting their cooler, I was able to cancel the order as it hadn't yet shipped. At least I sidestepped that punch to the gut. I'm in the process of choosing components for my own custom loop, as what I bought the Corsair cooler for, just doesn't work. I spent a month trying to troubleshoot their steaming pile of poo, only to then have them tell me, they just don't have any more ideas, once I could no longer return it. I really want to throw the thing through the window of their business!

Last but not least, I can't stand that Wytnyt guy. Since around release I remember him. He's either a hardcore fanboy or some relation to the link, beta tester or a hideous employee trying to water down the fire OR from the looks of his profile, a old grandpa who is very ignorant that has too much time in his hands and doesn't believe companies can sell bad products. Always blaming human error and telling people if it "works" do not update it. (Kind of like the old school saying, eh?) Who says that and what world does he live in. :bang head :mad:

At least he chose his forum name correctly... We is a total Nitwit. :clap:

I took him to task a bit, about some of the BS he was spouting, and the forum mods refused to edit my thread when he turned it into the mods. They said everything I had pointed out was true.

At least he chose his forum name correctly... We is a total Nitwit. :clap:

I took him to task a bit, about some of the BS he was spouting, and the forum mods refused to edit my thread when he turned it into the mods. They said everything I had pointed out was true.

Its like Ramguy once said last year in that the LC does require a certain level above a novice to use,unfortunately they can only make it ''point and shoot'' to a certain degree
Ive ask this question many times but as of yet can not get an answer

Its all the same software
Its all the same Hardware
yet for a few less than novice users just cant get the grasp of such a simple device and software
its just mind boggling why its so darn hard for some.
ehh,I guess thats what keeps the 5.25 bay controllers in business:confused:

Ive not got one but 4 LINKS purring right along,,,one in conjunction with an Aquaero 6,,,so I ask
''Exactly who is really the nitwit,,,hmmm?:rofl:

Last edited:
Hey guys, thank you for the good conversation. We are not going there. Thank you! :)

Ok guys, you have been asked nicely by an admin and a two mods to take it easy. I'm going to close this thread if you guys persist with attacking each out.

Back