• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4670K overclocked in BIOS, runs at stock speeds in Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n1ghtr4v3n

Disabled
Hey there,

This is my 1st post in Overclockers, I've been following it but never really had to chance to post something before. So I decided for my brand new problem I guess its time :)

Well yea I have this really weird problem... I digged in internet to find a similar problem but it didnt really help. So, as you have realized from the subject my brand new 4670K doesnt work at intended overclocked speeds after I boot into windows.

I'd like to say that I am a fellow former overclocker, I believe I got enough experience (so I guess we can skip the basics) and I've been using overclocked systems for like 3-4 years, but new to Haswell (I guess its usual too). Anyways I was thinking maybe I am missing some important points since its the 1st time I am using Haswell and could use some pro tips.

Here are the details:

My new rig is like... (purchased couple days ago)
i5-4670K | Asus Z87 Gryphon | GSkill RipjawsX 2x4GB 1866MHZ | MSI GTX770 Lightning | Corsair Force GS 128GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM | Zalman Z11 Plus | Xigmatek Centauro 800W (Bronze 80+) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 X | Windows 8 x64 Pro

So, let me start with what I did (mostly followed the basic overclocking tips in this forum for Haswell)
Started with 1.2V to see if I can boot in with 4.6GHZ, no luck. I have a no-good batch.
With 1.25V I could boot into windows safely at 4.3GHZ (maybe 4.4GHZ as well), so I have an underdog silicon for sure :shrug:
Then I swtiched on my memories to their xmp2 profile which is 1866mhz CL9.

Anyways Ive been checking temps and stuff, under Intel Burn Test for like 10mins with 1.248V and 4.3GHZ I could get 86C. So it was basically safe.

then I wanted to see if I could reach higher speeds, tried 4.4GHZ with a bit higher voltages and stuff, got some blue screens, made some more tweaks in bios, played around, tweaked fans and stuff etc. Finally decided 4.3GHZ is the end of the line for me since with Hyper212-X and 1.25V I am already around the hot line topping 85-90C dependent on ambient.

So finished playing with BIOS and turned back to Windows, but then I realized just after booting in cpu runs at 43x and 4300MHZ but after like half a minute they turn back to 34x and 3400MHZ stock. However my intended voltage is what I dialed in in BIOS, 1.25V.
In cpu-z the multiplier range is shown as 8x to 43x. But cpu is only topping 34x and 3400MHZ even under stress tests prime95, aida64, intelburntestv2, occt w/e...

I turned on/on EIST, C states. didnt really help either.

What I realized is whatever I set for Turbo mode, it stays ON if I set cpu multiplier manually... Is this normal?

Then I updated my BIOS for z87 Gryphon board... It didnt really change anything...

I even tried Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to see if I can change the stuff in Windows. I could change them to 43x and run a stress test as well. But frequencies stay tight at 3400MHZ stock.

:bang head :shrug:

So... this is my problem... Any help will be appreciated...
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Check windows power management and make sure minimum and maximum CPU usage are both set to 100%

Hey, thanks for taking your time to reply. But I have actually find the solution :)

Seems like there was no problems with either cpu/mobo or bios or any settings. I was using RealTemp software to keep track of my temperatures and in its settings you can actually enable/disable C-States/EIST/Turbo etc. (while you are in actually Windows). So as you may know, in BIOS if you disable turbo, manually dialed cpu multipliers turns back to default (which is auto) and if you dialed any cpu multiplier Turbo should be always on, if you dial multipliers turbo turns on automatically anways.

So, when I turned off turbo in RealTemp (I actually dont even remember doing so), multipliers got stuck at stock speeds even if they were set in BIOS.
All I needed to do is un-check "disable Turbo" option in Real Temp and VOILA! :)

Everything is back to normal...

I hope if somebody else is aware of this, wouldnt spend all their weekend like me trying to fix this stupid problem lol...

Peace!

Last edited:
Back