• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ZFS drive replacement trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

Looks like I've been hit with the 512b/4k problem with OpenIndiana. Just had to replace a drive and it looks like when I created the original pool, it was made with the ashift=9 option (512b) as I had a couple of drives which are 512b. However, the drive I am trying to use to replace it with is a native 4k drive and OpenIndiana will not allow me to do so.

Before I try anything, I should have just enough space on drives I have laying around to move everything off the ZFS pool to redo the whole pool with ashift=12, but would this be a problem with any current 512b drives in the pool? As far as I can tell, I only have one more 512b drive, and two 512b emulated drives left in the pool. The rest are WD Reds which should all be 4k.

Second, is there any way to carry over the current pool configuration to the remade one? Drive sizes will all be the same, as I am not changing the pool size, just trying to replace a drive. I have a iSCSI target, as well as a NFS configuration for my VMs that I would prefer to avoid having to redo.

Third, is there a simpler way for me to force this lone drive to be accepted into the current pool as a replacement without having to destroy the current pool? Maybe force it to ashift=9 so that OpenIndiana will allow it to be used as a replacement? Or maybe change the pool to ashift=12 without having to recreate it? Any future 2TB+ drives I purchase will be 4k drives, so keeping the pool as 512b (ashift=9) doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:
Anyone? :(

I really want to avoid having to redo the iSCIS and NFS settings, as that will affect the VM storage space in ESXi and more then likely screw up the Windows 7 iSCSI target, permissions, and who knows what else. It was a pita the first time around getting everything exactly how I wanted, and if I can bypass that completely, it would be a immense help.

He's not on here very often, but you may want to send cw823 a PM. He uses ZFS and OpenIndiana and may be able to help you out.

Back