• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling + Overclocking Athlon X4 750K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Got all my parts in for my cheap build:

Antec VSK-3000 Case (mATX)
Corsair CX500 Modular
Athlon X4 Quad 750K 3.4GHz FM2
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 FM2 A75 Hudson D3 Motherboard (mATX)
2x2GB Team Elite DDR3-1333
BFG 260GTX 768MB Maxcore55
1TB Seagate HDD

---------

The stock cooler was idling at ~42c, so I took an old cooler I had and just about made it work, but even this thing is still only 39c at idle.

Seems a little high don't you think? Maybe its just old technology...

What is a decent budget cooler that will give me better cooling and the possibility of a LITTLE overclocking? Budget cooler.

Attachments

• amycomp1.jpg
    amycomp1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 1,160
What paste are you using? How much?

Where are you seeing this 46C idle?

Sorry in fact it was 42c idle...at windows it slowed down, but for whatever reason the BIOS puts load on I guess? I edited orig post.

Im using AS5. Might be lower when the paste breaks in, but nonetheless.

Sorry in fact it was 42c idle...at windows it slowed down, but for whatever reason the BIOS puts load on I guess? I edited orig post.

Im using AS5. Might be lower when the paste breaks in, but nonetheless.

Yes, the BIOS isn't a perfect idle condition. Still a high idle, but I haven't used the stock cooler to tell you what it should be.

Prime95 should put it ~60C on core. Use HWMonitor, there are two temperatures, one is the socket temperature in the motherboard section, the other is the core temperature and it'll be under the actual processor section.

IIRC, FM2 stuff isn't reading temps correctly still.

Ya yeh...HWMonitor is reading it as 79C as the core temp while I am doing all the driver updates, so not even full load.

I updated to the latest BIOS and still reads that. I guess I'll just accept it as wrong. The socket temperature seems to make sense though...around 44/45c while browsing. Let me hit up prime and see how it does.

Socket temp should be ~10C higher than core temps. Keep it somewhere around 65-70C to be safe.

Its really noisy stock fan. I think its undersized in reality for this processor.

Any ideas if the arctic cooling 64 pro works well with these quads or do I need something beefier?

Back