• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AW m17x r4 memory slots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blakehenry00

I just picked up one of these and noticed it had two 2GB sticks, and two 4GB sticks. The 2GB's are installed in slots 2&3, and the 4GB's are installed in slots 1&4.

My question is, is this the "right" config for this? Or would I be better off just pulling the 2GB sticks out?

whYml8d.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the correct config is for this. Mine came with a 4gb and a 2gb though. I'm still slightly confused on that one.

It is a pain to get to two of the slots though, as they are on the other side of the motherboard.

Yeah that's the only reason why I haven't just taken them out already. I might just have to make it a weekend project to see the actual difference.

In order for the 2x4 GB and 2x2 GB modules to run in a preferred dual-channel config, they need to be installed like in this pic, otherwise they'll only run in single-channel mode...

Rules to enable dual-channel mode
To achieve dual-channel mode, the following conditions must be met:

Same memory size (1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, etc.)
Matched DIMM configuration in each channel
Matched in symmetrical memory slots

Check the Memory tab in CPU-Z to see what the current configuration is.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 73
It looks like on that tab it saying dual. So I am guessing that that means it IS running in dual channel mode. Thank you, another question for you. Would the different voltages cause an issue? One set is 1.5v and the other is 1.28v. Thanks!

Back