• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RANT: why is tethering such a crime?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Root, unlock bootloader, install Cyanogenmod, done. It's worked for me, and from start to finish it takes less than a minute to configure a new AP.

It's yet another part of the growing list of reasons to not use any of those crappy OEM OSs that are forced upon us.

+111111111111111

:beer:

(G{in}[AK)TION], that should be your #1 priority. Then tether til your little heart explodes.

The stock OS on your phone isn't doing anything except slowing it down and allowing the company to restrict you.

+111111111111111

:beer:

(G{in}[AK)TION], that should be your #1 priority. Then tether til your little heart explodes.

The stock OS on your phone isn't doing anything except slowing it down and allowing the company to restrict you.

its a motorola ZN5 that i will be using. are you sure?

Greed is the simple answer...but frankly most of us, if we read the TOS. Know that we agreed to not tether.

Meanwhile it is why many of us choose to stay out of contract and buy our own phones. I can tether to either of my Nexus phones on my unlimited plans. No root needed.

My point was more that the US carriers have no excuse and should get with the times. :thup:

I see no issue with current method(s) of tethering that come with a standard modern device. I was able to tether with my S2, my Nexus, my S3, and my S4 without any additional charge via AT&T. I merely have a 2GB data plan attached. With that 2GB I can tether if I like to or simply not.

And I do not know why an app was brought up for tethering with the S3... Just enable Personal Hotspot and done, there is your wireless tethering. Can also use the S3 to tether by other means (bluetooth, corded, etc.). Has works for me on both stock ROM and CyanogenMOD.

The app, Tasker, allows you to tether without rooting. Android only, I believe.

The "mobile hotspot" menu item is disabled on my phone without having the plan for it. Or at least it was the last time I checked. I really only use it to work in the car on long trips.

The app, Tasker, allows you to tether without rooting. Android only, I believe.

The "mobile hotspot" menu item is disabled on my phone without having the plan for it. Or at least it was the last time I checked. I really only use it to work in the car on long trips.

Which phone if you don't mind my asking

I believe Verizon's firmware is what disables the menu item. The phone, in it's stock flavor, is fully capable of tethering, however, and that is why the Tasker app so easily bypasses the block Verizon puts on the menu item.

By your post then I'm assuming you accepted an OTA update from Verizon with or without knowing it? Fook that, I would grab the stock ROM and reflash, that would **** me off to know that I'd be limited whether I plan to use it or not, as I paid for a non-carrier specific unlocked phone.

In my minds eyes that's false advertisement. How is it unlimited, but my speed is reduced after only 5 gigs of data usage??

I am not surprised by that at all. When I had a dial-up internet account my ISP advertised it as being unlimited. When some people started getting their accounts terminated because of excess usage they complained. The ISP explained that they had a provision for fair use which limited the access time to a certain amount.

Today even my ISP Comcast has caps on their downloads. For a long time it was 250GB. Because of the much faster speeds they have now they suspended the caps for the past year to reevaluate the maximum cap value. I hears they are slowly experimenting with bringing back caps that are set at 300GB. After the cap is reached the customer will be charged an overage fee.

I can see why carriers charge more to tether for those who want unlimited data plans, no complaints there. But for people on tiered plans, they ought to allow tethering (in fact, they should encourage it). If someone has a 2GB plan, and the carrier shows you how easy it is to tether, they'd be more inclined to use it more often, and more inclined to either up their tiered plan, or go over.. both of which net the carrier significant profits.

I have unlimited data on AT&T, and we just got LTE here in the last 18 months or so. For a while I was without a hard internet line while waiting on a replacement modem from my provider, so I turned on the wifi hotspot on my phone to play PC games and even Xbox live.. worked flawlessly, and I never got busted by the gestapo. Even after I hit the 5tb throttle mark, I was still getting between 4-6mb/s and 1mb/s up, which is plenty. I still use the wifi hotspot when on trips where the hotel internet is poor, but that's not too often.

In my minds eyes that's false advertisement. How is it unlimited, but my speed is reduced after only 5 gigs of data usage??
It's not really false advertisement. You can still move as much data as you want, but you'll just be limited by how fast you can do it.

lol ya.........
last month on my sprint plan I used 160gb of data
155gb went though easytether
I have a S4 on sprint
no email or nothing no Im probly make sure I don't go over 100gb again

lol ya.........
last month on my sprint plan I used 160gb of data
155gb went though easytether
I have a S4 on sprint
no email or nothing no Im probly make sure I don't go over 100gb again
Might slow done once they get more than 8 customers...:D

Seriously Sprint is a good choice around my neighborhood, and keeps getting better. Its only limited if you travel a lot and get in areas with no coverage...Than its like At&t 6 years ago.

Bandwidth usage is an inane and illogical excuse, given that there's a cap to start with. Bits are bits. If you happen to have an OpenVPN account somewhere (if you rent a VPS, you can set it up yourself), you might try connecting that on your phone before tethering. The carrier can't do any anti-tethering crap if the connection is encrypted, after all.

Back