• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone Know How to Network 2 PCs with a Patch Cable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

I need help setting up a network to share files between my 2 PCs - Win7 Ultimate x64.

PC#1 has internet.
PC#2 has no internet.
Both PCs have working network devices and are connected with a correct Cat5 patch cable.

But I'm not able to figure out the settings in Win7 to get this working.

If there are any experts here able to help me get this done and require compensation, please state your asking price. I can pay by PayPal. Thanks.

Are both connected through a router/splitter of some sort? Or are they directly connected with the CAT5 cable?

PC#1 to internet.
Networking devices in PC#1 and PC#2 are connected by Cat5 Patch cable.
No splitter / router.

I believe that you are trying to make One PC an internet gateway.

This video may give you a hand.

Unless you use a router, you'll have to set up one of the computers to perform the functions of a router, otherwise the two PCs can't talk.

See if you can set sharing to the drive you need access to. (Right Click -> Properties -> Sharing)

And see if you can add it to the other computer as a path (Computer -> Right Click in the white space -> Add a network location -> \\ComputerName\DriveLetter)

Pic

A better pic for PC#1
The second pic is when I click on "Local Area Connection 2".
And the third pic is when I click on "Local Area Connection".

Attachments

• PC1.1.JPG
    PC1.1.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 114
  • PC1.2.jpg
    PC1.2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 108
  • PC1.3.jpg
    PC1.3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
See if you can set sharing to the drive you need access to. (Right Click -> Properties -> Sharing)

And see if you can add it to the other computer as a path (Computer -> Right Click in the white space -> Add a network location -> \\ComputerName\DriveLetter)

I don't know where to go to try either of these.
But I'm more interested in getting the settings fixed regarding the pics I am posting.

Both of them, go to Windows Explorer, then to Computer.

For the first bit, pick the drive you want to transfer from.

Second bit, do on the computer you want to transfer to.

Pic

A better pic for PC#2
Second pic is when I click on "Local Area Connection".

Attachments

• PC2.1.jpg
    PC2.1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 110
  • PC2.2.jpg
    PC2.2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
There are two easy ways I can see to do this.

1) Bridge the network adapters. This is ideal if you want to have internet on both PCs. It also has the advantage of using the DHCP from the router. Article about how to do it here.

2) Statically assign IP addresses to each of the computers network adapters on a different subnet then the computer with internet is on. You can then connect to the computer to transfer files through the hostname or the IP address you assigned.

Anyone ever heard of a "Home Group" in Windows 7? It has something to do with networking in Windows 7. I can't get it to work.

---------------

I now have a CROSSOVER cable ordered, to replace the Patch Cable that I'm now trying to use.

Last edited:
Anyone ever heard of a "Home Group" in Windows 7? It has something to do with networking in Windows 7. I can't get it to work.

---------------

I now have a CROSSOVER cable ordered, to replace the Patch Cable that I'm now trying to use.

You can make this yourself?? You flip over 2 little wires... can't remember off my head which ones. But here's a video

If both computers are showing connected on the interface, they won't need a crossover cable. Gigabit NICs are usually auto sensing and won't require a crossover cable.

Hopefully the crossover cable will make this work. It cost $4 but will take 4 days to receive it.

I don't know what else to try to establish a file sharing network with the Cat5 Patch cable.
I can post additional screen pics if that would help.

Why not just spend the money on a router and be done with it. They aren't that expensive and this will make you life a TONs lot easier because you have no idea what your really doing.

With the router you'll easily share your files and the 2nd PC will have quick easy access to the internet.

LOOK MAN! routers at newegg for 25$ and less!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ription=router&name=$10 - $25&Order=BESTMATCH

At a glance it seems like that router and a few others would transfer slower than by cable. I'm needing to transfer gigs of videos. And with $4 spent on a crossover cable, it seems I'm well on my way to being done with this.

Of course if that doesn't work, I will buy a router. Thanks.

Back