• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Newegg Hurt a Long Time Customer – Lost Overnight Package Pre-Order GTA5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am sorry to hear about your experience Dominick. It really sucks when you have everything planned for game day like you did, only to find out the game is a no show.

I have used Newegg for all my PC needs since 2005, but I have recently been coming across extremely unsavory details about the way they do business. Have a look at this thread and you will never want to do business with them again. I know I wont. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694667

I am sorry to hear about your experience Dominick. It really sucks when you have everything planned for game day like you did, only to find out the game is a no show.

I have used Newegg for all my PC needs since 2005, but I have recently been coming across extremely unsavory details about the way they do business. Have a look at this thread and you will never want to do business with them again. I know I wont. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694667

WOW...they just lost another customer. I won't support any company that pulls back-handed BS like that. And that just went up on my Facebook.

Every company/business is going to make a mistake, it's inevitable. What I find really defines a company, is what they do when a mistake is made. You get customers with good prices, but you keep customers with stellar customer service.

As a fellow avid gamer, I feel your pain, and hope you get some quality time to take your frustrations out in game. Keep us posted with any further info from Newegg!

That is unfortunate for what you experienced from them, but why would anyone pay an additional $22 in order to get launch day delivery when it is free from Amazon or you could just stop into a local store? I understand liking supporting a company you have used over the years, but not at the expense of 33% of the price in shipping. But that is just my opinion.

Personally I think the issue is because of UPS and not new egg. Did you look at newegg's service rules/FAQ etc? Is it clearly stated on their site somewhere the way they handle these situations? And to compare a site like newegg to amazon is a bit like comparing a mom&pop store to Walmart they are on a completely different level.

Thanks for the link. Read about 3 pages - wow, is Newegg really this bad. When I helped a family member with a new build they got most of there parts at Microcenter. Microcenter salesperson even admitted a price error and sold them a Gigabyte Z87 UD4H for $75!

Might have to start thinking about Microcenter as an alternative.

Thank you again for the link!:thup:

**UPDATE 9-19-13**
Although I am stepping away from arguing or responding anymore. I wanted to update everyone on how the situation handled itself.

Newegg eventually handled itself in an exemplary manner last night. I want to thank 2 awesome newegg representatives for really being what a true CS should be. Natalie Romero and Freddy Angel. I highly recommend any OCF members to contact either of these two with any issues.

I ended up posting on the newegg Facebook page and got an immediate email and call. They immediately agreed with me and said. "They would have been pissed off also if they pre ordered a game and took off work expecting the guaranteed gta 5 launch day delivery and ups lost the package , and newegg refused to refund the shipping charge, and was nasty on the phone" they wanted to apologize for the employee that was rude and also for not immediately refunding the shipping charge. They agreed that the shipping charge and an apology "should have been the minimum at first that they should have done" and they are sending this to upper management to work on this never happening to another customer again in the future on future guaranteed launch day game pre orders.

Check this out guys. By the time our conversation was finished they said a replacement copy of GTA5 was already on its way and if the other copy was ever found or received in the future after 2 weeks just throw it out or refuse the package from ups because they are going to consider it lost anyway.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Could Newegg actually really care about the customer after all? I immediately told them thank you anyway but I already ordered a digital copy because I assumed I wouldn't be getting my new copy for 2 weeks after the investigation on the lost package. You won't believe what they said next.

We just voided the replacement. And we went ahead and refunded the shipping on the entire original order. We don't feel you should have to wait for us to work with UPS the next 2 weeks when you were promised the game yesterday on launch day. "So because of your difficulty and the rude initial treatment by denying shipping refund they refunded me everything immediately.

And it gets better. They told me to keep the original 22.50 extra refund and take another 20 dollar gift card for new eggs apology. I told them it was not necessary, all I wanted was my refund but they insisted.

Do you know what that means guys? They essentially bought me a free copy of gta5.

They refunded my original 79.50.
They refunded 22.50 extra
They refunded a 20. 00 gift card.

That means they have me 42.50 for free for the inconvenience.

I can't believe it. I am literally in shock.

Kudos to newegg. I retract my statement about losing a customer. I just hope they improve the initial conversation and shipping refunds with others in the same position as me.

Thank you Newegg!

That is unfortunate for what you experienced from them, but why would anyone pay an additional $22 in order to get launch day delivery when it is free from Amazon or you could just stop into a local store? I understand liking supporting a company you have used over the years, but not at the expense of 33% of the price in shipping. But that is just my opinion.

Personally I think the issue is because of UPS and not new egg. Did you look at newegg's service rules/FAQ etc? Is it clearly stated on their site somewhere the way they handle these situations? And to compare a site like newegg to amazon is a bit like comparing a mom&pop store to Walmart they are on a completely different level.
Janus, I agree with you whole heartedly . I learned my lesson now. I will never pre order online again. The reason is I thought that it was going to be very hard to get the game on launch day so I figured if I ordered two weeks in advance on Newegg I would have a better chance. Didn't know how available to game was going to be.

But I agree with you and learned my lesson. Believe me. Thank you for your response.

Wow..................1 bad apple ruins the tree ehh? Anyway, I am glad that it was resolved and significantly in your favor!!

Last edited:
Janus, I agree with you whole heartedly . I learned my lesson now. I will never pre order online again. The reason is I thought that it was going to be very hard to get the game on launch day so I figured if I ordered two weeks in advance on Newegg I would have a better chance. Didn't know how available to game was going to be.

But I agree with you and learned my lesson. Believe me. Thank you for your response.

I'm glad everything got resolved for you! Enjoy GTA5, it is definitely going to be up there on a lot of people's lists for GOTY 2013.

It's pretty interesting, because after this post as well as reading the whole thread that was linked in this one, I was about to give up on Newegg. I have a feeling someone up top is nervous about all these reports of shady business and realize it's time to act.

Here is a final update.
As of this morning all credits and refunds have posted to my account. Case closed.

Thanks for all of your responses, guys!

-Dom

Back