• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD trouble with XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fingolfin

I did a clean install of XP home . I have two HD. I saved a hard drive and installed it after the clean install. The portion of the HD that I had saved does not show up in the my computer folder. Why? Is there some way I can get xp to allow me to read this portion. The clean HD is formatted NTFS and the other is fat32.

Thanks ahead of time.

Fin

XP Home does not support NTFS by default, but I beleive there is a program that allows to read NTFS, but not write to it. Has anyone heard of it?

PenguinFreak said:
XP Home does not support NTFS by default, but I beleive there is a program that allows to read NTFS, but not write to it. Has anyone heard of it?

I have XP Home on my laptop and the HD has two NTFS partitions, so it does in fact support it. It had one FAT32 and one NTFS partition when I bought it, but I converted the FAT32 partition to NTFS.

check hard drive management under administrative tools in control panel and see if winxp detects it as a formated drive.

WinXP Home does support NTFS. However, it does not support the Encrypted File System that Pro does...

When you pulled the HDD during the install, did your BIOS disable the HDD because it wasn't detected? Check to make sure that your BIOS can see the drive. Then we can work from there.

Back