• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuck in limbo. Is it worth upgrading yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

Currently running a 6950. I'm the type who feels like I always need to be on the bleeding edge. This is the longest I've had a video card. I've had this 6950 since it first came out. It obviously still runs everything I need it to , but its value is going down. They barely sell for 100 on eBay or forums. Is it worth selling this card off and upgrading to say a 7950/7970 or should I just hang onto it until say next year.

Would you upgrade?

I'm thinking of kicking the idea of upgrading and finally upgrading this old corsair H60 and throwing in one of the new h100i coolers.

Anyways , thanks for any input.

i was thinking the same thing a year ago, my 6950 i have had longer than any other card since they scale ~90% by the time i need more power i can buy another one and almost double the performance (for almost no money) for games that support it, which almost anything that needs that much performance supports it.

guess it really depends what games you play, i play cod4, dayz, league of legends, and thats about it lol

then again if i wasnt married with kids now i would more than likely have a 7970 and an ivy-e setup. but my baby girl was so worth it :)

I had a 6950 that I just got rid of , the only reason I did is because I got some good $ for it on kijji that let me upgrade to the 670gtx, if it hadn't sold I would still be using it and have been happy .
I pretty much upgraded my whole system so that i could play Bf4 when it comes out . ( I went from a E8400/69500 to a haswell / 670gtx)

thats exactly what Im wanting to upgrade for. Is BF4. I know my rig (in the specs) with the 6950 will run it *fine* on tone down high settings, but I want to be able to max it out. I've started to look at the 760 vs 7950 though honestly. Those 760s are looking rather good for the future. It sucks that the most i can seem to get out of a 6950 is 100 bucks on ebay!! makes me think I should just buy a 2nd one and xfire it for that cheap... hmmmmm

Might as well wait for the next AMD cards coming out here. Since really those are going to be really optimized for BF4, and even the 7000 series should be as well if not mistaken to take advantage of the Mantle

Back