• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSE problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulwatch5

So recently i had a problem when starting my laptop it would show the icon that my wireless is searching for a network but never connect to anything. Just a frozen blue circle over the wireless icon at my bottom right screen. O and mse live protection was turned off. It wouldn't turn on and if i tried to open a window for either "network and connection, windows update or system restore" they just wouldn't open. And the funny thing was my wireless was working cause i could surf the web just wasn't showing it on tray. So ended up starting in safe mode and restoring to a previous point. Starts up fine with no problems. Do a full virus scan and come up with nothing. Shut my laptop off and a day later turn it on to have the same problem.

Safe mode to system restore and before restoring it shows that a critical update was applied the same day i got everything working the first time. Didn't remember any windows update so before doing a system restore i looked at the update and it turns out to be a microsoft security essentials update. So mse has it set to automatically update when they are available. Anyways just to make sure did the restore then restarted to have the system working. Then restarted again to have the problem. Safe mode again to check it was the same update and restored. After restart uninstall mse and installed avast. Everything is working fine now just was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem. That and if there is a known reason why it happened in the first place.

On a side note after uninstalling mse i started getting updates for windows defender which from my memory i have never gotten from microsoft before.

O and i forgot to mention I'm running Windows 7 64bit Pro.

I've seen this issue, typically it's either you have two wireless management software sets installed (even if one is disabled) or the wireless zero service is having some conflict with your driver: update driver to latest or back to original.

Windows defender updates come out about once a month, you just noticed it now.

btw, avast is not ssd friendly, I'd recommend going with something with a lower i/o per second tasking to keep your ssd alive for a while.

Well I uninstalled the "Pro Intel Wireless manager and logs" and updated the wireless driver, then uninstalled avast and put back MSE and things seem to be working again.

Thanks

Back