• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get rid of Yahoo! mail Ad-bar from your Yahoo email Inbox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Yahoo! mail added an Ad-bar in the view mail Tab which looks exactly like a new incoming mail message and takes you to an advertising site if you click on it.

Brilliant. Here's what to do:

1. Install Adblock Plus Firefox add-on: https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

2. Firefox > Tools > Add-ons > [next to Adblock Plus] Options > Filter preferences... > Add filter > mail.yahoo.com#DIV(id=slot_MB) > Add filter > mail.yahoo.com##div.fill > Close

3. Restart Firefox

Edit: This is easier:
The firefox add-on Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel is a lot better and easier solution.

Last edited:
The other thing that bothered me was that whenever we log out of our Yahoo! Email, we are immediately taken to Yahoo's home page yahoo.com. There, our eye immediately catches the rotating top center "Yahoo news". Most of the time however, this "news" is neither educational nor relevant and always looks like it was picked out by an unpaid volunteer who recently dropped out of junior high school.

There are so many educational, interesting and relevant stories happening around the world if only Yahoo could display those, so that people can learn something interesting every time they log out of their Yahoo! Email. But in their wisdom, they choose to make us read Yellow Tabloid Trash.

After logging out of Yahoo email - to stop being exposed to the Tabloid "news" headlines *every time* you log out of your Yahoo email, unfortunately the only solution is to block yahoo.com.

This will not interfere with Yahoo email page. You will just not be able to display yahoo.com main page in any browser. So after you log out of Yahoo email, you will get a blank screen instead. Here's how:

Disable any anti-virus program which protects your Hosts file from changes, then:

Notepad > File > Open >
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Block yahoo.com by adding this line to the end of hosts file then File > Save

127.0.0.1 www.yahoo.com

You will get this, it will save you time and it guarantees to kill less brain cells than Yahoo.com "news". ;)

Attachments

• YahooBlocked.png
    YahooBlocked.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,239
Last edited:
FYI-I did run the Hide Ad Panel app and after that point could not send emails. They showed up as sent items, but were never received. If this is happening to anyone else, I found this as a temporary workaround (basically, switch to plain text):https://help.yahoo.com/kb/send-forward-reply-emails-sln3569.html?impressions=true

Tested it and it works.

What a PITA, though. Until October of last year, yahoomail worked just fine. No hiccups, no unmovable ad panel, and almost no spam. Whoever designed the new interface really humped the bunk on this one. :screwy:

??
Originally posted Adblock solution still works.
Other poster's individual add-on seemed to be an easier solution - that's really weird that an email would be found in a Sent folder but never received... I suspect another culprit.

Only if you are able to replicate that by quick installing/uninstalling other poster's individual add-on would that really be the case.
If you cannot reliably replicate that on your system: [add-on installed - no email received / add-on uninstalled - all is fine], then something else is the problem.

It's theoretically not possible for an add-on to do that though. If an email doesn't go out, it might show up in the 'Drafts' folder. But if it is showing up in the 'Sent' folder, that definitely means it has been sent. The only reason I can see why that's not showing in the recipient's Inbox might be that it's going into their spam folder. I'm using the Hide Ad Panel for quite some time now without any problem at all. I also use Adblock Plus for other sites, but for Yahoo Mail it doesn't always work correctly.

I agree, more likely than not, poster was incorrect to link Firefox Add-on to mail being in Sent folder but not actually sent.

I agree, more likely than not, poster was incorrect to link Firefox Add-on to mail being in Sent folder but not actually sent.

Possible, but unlikely. It was to the day I tried the second solution above that my yahoo email got borked. I did try the plain text mode fix and was able to both send and receive a message.

??
Originally posted Adblock solution still works.
Other poster's individual add-on seemed to be an easier solution - that's really weird that an email would be found in a Sent folder but never received... I suspect another culprit.

Only if you are able to replicate that by quick installing/uninstalling other poster's individual add-on would that really be the case.
If you cannot reliably replicate that on your system: [add-on installed - no email received / add-on uninstalled - all is fine], then something else is the problem.

That's what I'm going to try next.

Yup. Worked. I disabled then removed the Hide Ad Panel, email worked again, did not need plain text.

Implemented c627627's solution and all is well.

So wait, the add-on the other poster posted, you can replicate this add-on makes your sent Yahoo email show up in the Sent box but it never gets received by the recipient, even if you wait an amount of time, I don't know, a few hours, to account for any unrelated delays? Is that what you can replicate?

I still don't believe :). You can enable that add-on once, and try sending it to any of the disposable email addresses like the one you can create on mailinator.com. Verify if that address is getting the email from you when that add-on is enabled or not, disable the add-on and check again. If you get the email on the mailinator address, that means the problem lies with your recipient.

Back