• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Goal: 5Ghz on fx8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unfortunately no. This MSI board needs these to run his FX6200 at stock with the VRMs at 68c. It was about a 6c drop though. I'm trying to talk him into upgrading to the Sabertooth or the Extreme9.

thank you everyone for your replies, and for your detailed information Johan regarding the socket and cooling of the socket.

the temps straightened right up after i changed the air direction and added my beastly panaflow fan lol (my PC now resembles a vacuum cleaner, wouldn't be the first time). while digging in my box of electronics stuff though, i came across a little 40mm fan i used to use for active cooling on my northbridge. i went ahead and pointed it at the VRM for extra measure.

i have finally hit what i'm thinking is my maximum stable(ish) overclock. it does pass prime but eventually a couple of cores do drop out. at least the PC isn't hard locking or anything like that. i think if i hadn't already surpassed the 500 reboots mark i'd keep trying lol (i'm kidding but it sure feels like it!) and i do feel i could manage to tweak everything just right to get it totally stable at this speed since it's so close.

i certainly am not going to run at this speed all the time, but here's my final result (until i get my new parts in the mail and do this whole process over again lol)

i also included a pic of my little 40mm fan blowing on my VRM

Attachments

• DSC_0039.PNG
    DSC_0039.PNG
    161.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 213x23.png
    213x23.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 492
Looks like you got on topof that Socket temp. Nice work now just let it run for a couple hours and see how it heats up.

oh, i totally forgot... the 7x multi thing was due to a power saving feature in the BIOS.... it was one i overlooked. i'll try and look for the name next time i go in there because it wasn't very obvious where the option was at

Was it EPU ? as I remember it's the only one in the tweaker tab besides turbo. Everything else is under the CPU

it was core c6.... at least that is the one i overlooked and didn't notice it was a power saving feature. to be honest i'd made so many changes at once i'm not certain that was what was causing my issue.

i do know that it is working great now though, and i haven't had the problem come back. it may have been related to the sock temps too perhaps? i think the issue came up before i changed my cooling around

Little shot of my 24/7 for ya. ;)

file.php

wow you got me beat pretty good lol. what kind of cooling and vcore/cpu-nb voltage you using? maybe i can use that information to see where i might improve

Mr Scott how much did delidding drop your temps? I've read mixed results on delidding and lapping.

i was interested in delidding mine as well but i read it was soldered on and it couldn't be done without ruining the chip. was i given bad info?

i would have to either get a different block or lap the crap out of my water block before delidding if i ever did it, because the middle of the chip gets the most pressure. i think it would surely crack a delidded processor

Back