• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does it make sense?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OGMCVilleTC

To run this on my HTPC I just built?

CASE------Silverstone ML05B
PSU-------Silverstone ST45SF
MOBO-----ASRock H&&M-ITX
CPU-------Core i3 3225 w/ stock cooler
RAM-------4 GB GSkill (Old ram from my main rig)
SSD-------Kingston 60 GB SSDNow V300

I've already added two Noctua NF-R8 fans to the case just to make sure it would stay cool. If I did run it on my HTPC would it have any affect on my SSD life? Should I get an external HDD for seti to put its info on? Would using the HTPC really even be worth it? Also nothing is OC'ed on the HTPC.

It should not adversely affect your SSD in a significant fashion. I've run Seti for a couple years on my SSD with no issues.

Would it make a significant difference though? If its not going to do a lot then I don't plan on doing it. Sorry I'm responding so late. Had a baby Wednesday night. So I am now a new daddy.

I was referring to the stat difference in my last post (should of been clearer my apologies). Can I expect to see a signifigant difference? I was thinking with it only being an I3 and no stand alone gpu that the stat increase would be marginal at best.

There is no difference with Folding, Seti, BOINC, with an SSD versus a HDD. Those applications do not rely on the HDD/SSD for much of anything that has to do with performance.

I'm aware that the ssd would not have a performance increase. I was referring to the processing speed and the fact that there isn't a GPU in the rig.

In no measurable way would this affect anything in F@H, Seti, or BOINC. :)

Get some rest with that new baby man! Congrats!

Thanks EarthDog. Rest is one thing I have not been getting. She loves to stay up from 1 am to 5 am. Luckily I'm naturally a night owl and I think she gets it from her father.

Back