• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair 900D WC Build Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welcome to Watercooling. No one ever said it was going to be easy. Best is after the first time you do it, it gets easier and better.

One thing to learn from this is when starting to watercool you want to make a diagram or a blue print of your goal. You live and learn. Once you're done it will be worth it because you did all the work.

You can only fit the HD cages to the middle 2 sections from the front.

Congrats on your new SSD. I might be grabbing one soon but not sure yet.
That's true and I soon in my life I plan on building a server and water cooling that, but that time isn't now.

If only I made a blueprint but 95% of the time I estimated.

And you use the spacers with it?

Thank you :) I'm trying to go for windows 7 pro and 32 GB of ram soon. It's cool DDR4 RAM is making its appearance soon but it'll be like DDR3 RAM back in 2009. An upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB would be $1000 or somewhere along the lines of that. I'm just hoping DDR3 price drops, any way, slightly or a lot.

That's true and I soon in my life I plan on building a server and water cooling that, but that time isn't now.

If only I made a blueprint but 95% of the time I estimated.

And you use the spacers with it?

Thank you :) I'm trying to go for windows 7 pro and 32 GB of ram soon. It's cool DDR4 RAM is making its appearance soon but it'll be like DDR3 RAM back in 2009. An upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB would be $1000 or somewhere along the lines of that. I'm just hoping DDR3 price drops, any way, slightly or a lot.

What spacers are you talking about? Point out in my build log so I can understand you better.

Win 7 pro 64 bit is great. I am also waiting for the debut of DDR4 and the new chipsets. My next upgrade which will finish the upgrades left will only be CPU/MB/RAM since I have the rest and SSD if I don't get it soon. It's been a long awaited time.

Those spacers are for the lower HD cages if I recall correctly. I don't think you need those for the mid section.

OK good.
Have you had any experience with flexible LED strips? They are a pain in my arse, I'll tell you what. The adhesive is so terrible :bang head

OK good.
Have you had any experience with flexible LED strips? They are a pain in my arse, I'll tell you what. The adhesive is so terrible :bang head

On some spots because the screws of the case are in the way but for the most part its fine.

IMG_20131117_102852_239_zpsbfc68ca1.jpg

I'm not sure, is this a viable way to fill the res or would I have to use the top?

You have to figure that out. I don't know that reservoir nor do I have it. Read the instructions that came with it and do a little google search to see some pics.

That fill in position should be on top. Its physics. The reservoir won't fill but spill out in that position. Stop and think for a bit.

You have to figure that out. I don't know that reservoir nor do I have it. Read the instructions that came with it and do a little google search to see some pics.

That fill in position should be on top. Its physics. The reservoir won't fill but spill out in that position. Stop and think for a bit.
I'm not really confident with my water cooling logic since this is my first time doing this so I guess I might need a Y splitter and a fill plug?

image-2.jpg
Curious, my molex for my fan controller and pump are like this but my LEDs snap in fine. Are they plugged in enough or no?
image.jpg
I'm about to leak test, don't worry I'll clean up the towel configuration.
image-1.jpg
Some questionable cable management

God I am so STUPID! I fill my loop get a massive leak because I forgot to tighten the PLUGS! I was scared out of my mind thinking I punctured the rad. Thank god it wasn't that. Since I got that out of the way the only problem I have is the ghetto sli bridge setup image-3.jpg considering the fitting is slanted. Originally it went too far so I had to squeeze it in. Sadly I can't find any EVGA Hydro Coppers so this has to be more complicated than it should. Ugh. I am having my regrets lol

So I was looking at eBay for that hydro copper block when I saw 2 xspc blocks being sold. I decided to snatch them up and now I've got them installed looking pretty.
image-4.jpg

So I was looking at eBay for that hydro copper block when I saw 2 xspc blocks being sold. I decided to snatch them up and now I've got them installed looking pretty.
image-4.jpg

Its unfortunate you had to spend more money to get the route fixed. My guess is you could just sell the ones you had before for whatever you can get for them. Hope you used some good TIM when you applied those blocks. Looks like you're almost there. Just make sure you're leak free with a 24hr test. Make sure the fittings are tight. You're almost there. I hope you learned alot from this experience. :D

Its unfortunate you had to spend more money to get the route fixed. My guess is you could just sell the ones you had before for whatever you can get for them. Hope you used some good TIM when you applied those blocks. Looks like you're almost there. Just make sure you're leak free with a 24hr test. Make sure the fittings are tight. You're almost there. I hope you learned alot from this experience. :D

I got Arctic Silver 5, that curing time though lol. I have learned A LOT and I'd be more confident if I do another one.
Ehh, I didn't really love the alphacool block, it was initially a hassle, sad to see the evga one off though. The LED will be missed.

I made sure all my plugs are tight this time.
Spending that money was worth it imo, $200 for those blocks is worth it. They actually have one of the best temps/flow rate for 590 blocks. It allowed me to use those fittings for the bottom radiator outlet to get a cleaner look. Overall it looks pretty nice and I'll start filling it soon once I double check tightness.

image-5.jpg

The leak test has BEGUN!

image-6.jpg

All I'm baffled about is how to turn up the pump speed properly... It's facing down and doesn't have much leeway and I tried to twist it with a screw head without the screw driver. I don't want to break it. Any suggestions on the damn d5 vario?

So apparently counter-clockwise is not the way to turn the speed dial??? Ok, I set it on 5 and I'm gonna let it run overnight

"Disaster" strikes at the worst of times, I was topping of the loop when the funnel starts tipping over towards the top of the case while I reached for the power, about 20-40mL dropped from the bottom rad to CPU->res tubing onto the OC section of the board, onto one open section of the evga backplate and down the south bridge. Not sure if any went in the battery, the face of it had a few drops, I sprayed it down with air and like 20 seconds of a hair dryer on warm, low. No water is actually visible at this point, the mobo was off and it was only distilled straight from the bottle. Single drops scattered across the board, most was on the GPUs backplates and when it trickled down the south bridge, this happened about 5-6 hours ago. Should I throw another round of air and dryer at it? I'll mention a drop was next to a capacitor. How much longer to wait? Leak test = success and I got some essays to write on my computer.

Oh my god I almost did it... CPU and first 590, one I bought from Linus, are properly cooled. CPU and GPU ~25 degrees idle. However the initial card I have is giving me 45 degrees, however it's clock speed is at 50 while Linus' is at 8? Could it be the culprit or is the card not properly mounted?
UPDATE: It heats up rapidly but cools down slowly, ugh. Tighten the screws once more? I don't want to completely remove it out of the case as that'll cause the biggest of hassles.
UPDATE 2: This sucker had the audacity to heat up to 84 degrees...

Last edited:
Kind of lost. What you mean it's 84c? You do understand you have 4 fermi GPU's. One runs HOT but you have 4. lol That does seem high but not familiar with quad cards and what your delta should be. Are they OC'd? If they are just keep everything at stock till you get used to everything and what temps you should be getting.

Usually from a spill I'd wouldn't power on anything for at least 2 days and make sure its dry. You did fine since it was during your leak testing phase.

What is your CPU temp at idle and at max load (Prime95)?
Water temp on load and idle?
Top GPU?
Bottom GPU?
Ambient temp?
Water Temp?
Delta Temp?

Back