• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

load windows while at signin screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingfish999

My computer automatically wakes up at 8am every day so its ready to use when I wake up (and it also helps me wake up if I sleep in). Problem is I want to keep my computer password protected because I have friends and family who tend to like to go through my stuff and mess with my Facebook for example. Problem is that when it turns itself on it wont load up when its at the signin screen and its an inconvenience to wait for it to load after signing in when its already been on for a few minutes.

Is there a way to make it so that it will load everything while its at the signin screen so it will be ready to use once I login? kinda like if it logged in, loaded, then goes back to the login screen for the password

also is there a way to not require a password for when it automatically turns on but to require it for any other time its turned on?

Instead of shutting down the computer, use the sleep option.

The alternatives, if they even exist, are a huge security risk.

sleep mode tends to fail for me. sometimes it turns itself on for no reason. sometime it crashes when resuming. sometimes it will resume and work perfectly for like 30 seconds then just hard shutdown. there are times it works good tho. but when it crashes it makes my RAID 1 start rebuilding and programs forget passwords and settings

ya I figured it would be. but all I really need is just to prevent friends from "hacking" my facebook. otherwise thee isn't much else but games on this computer. otherwise I just run without a password. I remember my college PC support professor saying he somehow did the 1st alternative but that was years ago

You put the quotes in the wrong place: prevent "friends" from hacking my facebook.

Get an SSD and call it a day.

The alternative is problem a mixture of something like this and a powershell or batch script to enable/disable the autologin feature based on what time of day it is. Very hacky, but doable.

well I think I managed to get Sleep mode to work correctly again. I knew there was some way to get it to work but forgot how. turns out if the 'Overclock Protection' settin on the BIOS is enabled it will some reason be triggered when waking from Sleep and will restart the computer. why it waits 15 seconds after waking up when everything is usable I have no idea.

still would be nice to have it all loaded up and ready while it waits for sign-in tho for the times I don't use sleep mode. still open for ideas for that

IIRC my computer wont resume from sleep mode for automatic wake-up. I guess cause its technically still on? is there a way make it so it will or would that just be a BIOS thing

still would be nice to have it all loaded up and ready while it waits for sign-in tho for the times I don't use sleep mode. still open for ideas for that

I think your only option is what I linked above. Until you sign in, non critical system services aren't going to run. The only option (the way I see it) is to automate the first login, then immediately lock your PC.

I think your only option is what I linked above. Until you sign in, non critical system services aren't going to run. The only option (the way I see it) is to automate the first login, then immediately lock your PC.

Or of course upgrade to windows 8. Although the interface changes are questionable there's no doubt that startup time is far better even on my old hardware. The SSD suggestion would make more of a difference though if you aren't already using one.

im running regular HDDs but in RAID 1 so it should be about 2x faster than normal anyways. I just don't have money for a decent sized SDD

I know how to make a the computer not require password for startup but still require it for when locking or such by using 'netplwiz'. im thinking that I can use that and then add a script in startup to immediate lock it after logging in. that way it willstart, load up without a password and then lock itself and require a password to resume.

btw is there a difference between 'locking' and 'switch users' when only 1 account on the computer? when I think of locking I think of it keeping the programs running but does block off internet or anything for more security?

Switch users and locking are the same thing in this context.
What you describe will work for your needs, and would be fairly easy to do.

so I figured out how to add scripts. I just cant seem to figure out how to make the script. I was never good to writing code. anybody give me alittle hand on a script to either lock windows?

EDIT: never mind I got it figured out. I decided to be lazy and make a batch file and put it in the Startup folder. much simpler than PowerShell and manually making it a startup script. seems to work perfectly. it starts without the password then it locks instantly to where you don't even notice. starts all the programs up while its waiting for the password. it still asks for password if I manually lock or switch users. mission success!

Last edited:
Back