• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Battlestation One: ATX Gaming PC - "desk-TOP" Case | Update #2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shazim

Registered
Hey guys!

It has been just about a month since we last posted an update, and we have made significant improvements since then!

We took many of your guys criticisms, and came up with even a BETTER design with more functionality than before.

What is it?

Battlestation One is an upcoming watercooling/aircooling PC case for enthusiast and focuses on design.

The case is built to be placed on a desk and provides a massive plexiglass to show the internals of the PC.

This case is being made through community suggestions/requests and we are asking for your input on what features you would like to see and how we can improve the design.

http://www.battlestationlabs.com

This is general idea of what we want the case to be:
l49xk.jpg

Some pictures of current case design!

kujDoIB.png

g5G5aKI.png

6yOcJfm.png

cBtnlmJ.png

naDypNw.png

KYy8JUR.png

vnc6BfM.png

eoFpDb6.png

Full albums can be viewed below

Watercool Setup:

Aircooling Setup:

Empty Case Setup:

Cable Management:

Example on how to place on desk:

Specs and features of case:
Physical Specs:
Specs:
  • Physical Specs:
  • Dimensions: 38" x 11.1" x 7" (length, width, height)
  • Case material: Steel
  • Front Panel and Top Panel will be removable
  • Underground layer for cable management/hiding cables (will be removable)

General:
  • Power Supply: ATX
  • Motherboard Support: ATX and MicroATX
  • Room for up to 3x 11" long graphics cards
  • 4x Internal 5.25" Bay (removable) - Good for reservoirs/pumps
  • USB 3.0 / 2.0 on front, headphones and mic jacks

Watercooling:
  • Support for 2x240mm radiators (with exhaust on bottom)
  • Up to 3 intake fans (120mm)
  • Up to 3 internal fans to move air to motherboad compartment (120mm)
  • Dual-loop compatible
  • Can fit 2 water pumps
  • Can fit various size of reservoirs (see screenshots), mounts for 2 cylinder/hanging reservoirs
  • Aircooling:
  • Low profile heatsinks only (max height must be 150mm or less).
  • Bottom cutouts for radiators could also be used for intake (up to 4 120mm fans).

Please let us know what you think of this case and the design - would love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:
Wow cool design. Really in love with these desk designs. Someday I will get one. lol

I noticed one thing that kind of bugged me. The fan in the back next to the PSU, won't that return warm air back into the desk? PSU will exhaust air back out next to it when needed and the radiator warm air? I don't know but it was just a thought.

Also, will it be filtered air?

Last edited:
I am assuming you have brought this up for some critique for possible issues other people might see in the design

An interesting design but From a water cooling standpoint alone. You have a 120mm fan exhausting out the back + the PSU exhausting out the back with 2 X 120 mm fans supplying cool air for the system, right? If so what kind of airflow will you have available for your possible 6 rad fans on the far left as well as chipset cooling? From personal experience with my CosmosII you can put in the best water cooling gear but if the airflow to that gear is not good your temps will suffer, greatly.

If you were to drop in an AMD FX8350 for example and try to OC it with 2 360 rads should allow for some good clocks but the amount of heat build up in and around the CPU Socket area would be very high and over a short time will saturate the case with warm air. I don't know Intel very well but I believe some of the newer chips run pretty hot as well so this will apply to them as well. A possible solution is to run just 1 360 rad and use the other side for an air intake but you will be dumping your warm air from the rad in the same area that you are trying to get the cool air to feed the rad in the first place.

Are you planning on using a mesh of hard venting the top panel or along the left side to supply cool air to your rads? If so maybe adding in room for a 220mm fan as an intake will help alleviate this issue.

Are you planning on using a mesh of hard venting the top panel or along the left side to supply cool air to your rads? If so maybe adding in room for a 220mm fan as an intake will help alleviate this issue.

Good ideas, thanks!

So I was playing around with the idea for having vents near/around the radiator left side, but was not really sure if that would help? The case is going to mainly be negative air pressure, so it would be pulling hot air out...putting vents on left side would definitely bring another source for bringing in cooler air.

For the fan do you mean something like this (140mm fan):

2ilj7gl.png

I like what you have so far, especially aesthetically. I'm quite interested in this. Some good points about the airflow above. Also, with that updated design, how much clearance does that leave for the CPU cooler?

I like what you have so far, especially aesthetically. I'm quite interested in this. Some good points about the airflow above. Also, with that updated design, how much clearance does that leave for the CPU cooler?

Thanks, still working on the details for airflow setups!

Huge update posted! First post re-edited. Quoted below...let us know what you think!

Hey guys!

It has been just about a month since we last posted an update, and we have made significant improvements since then!

We took many of your guys criticisms, and came up with even a BETTER design with more functionality than before.

What is it?

Battlestation One is an upcoming watercooling/aircooling PC case for enthusiast and focuses on design.

The case is built to be placed on a desk and provides a massive plexiglass to show the internals of the PC.

This case is being made through community suggestions/requests and we are asking for your input on what features you would like to see and how we can improve the design.

http://www.battlestationlabs.com

This is general idea of what we want the case to be:
l49xk.jpg

Some pictures of current case design!

kujDoIB.png

g5G5aKI.png

6yOcJfm.png

cBtnlmJ.png

naDypNw.png

KYy8JUR.png

vnc6BfM.png

eoFpDb6.png

Full albums can be viewed below

Watercool Setup:

Aircooling Setup:

Empty Case Setup:

Cable Management:

Example on how to place on desk:

Specs and features of case:
Physical Specs:
Specs:
  • Physical Specs:
  • Dimensions: 38" x 11.1" x 7" (length, width, height)
  • Case material: Steel
  • Front Panel and Top Panel will be removable
  • Underground layer for cable management/hiding cables (will be removable)

General:
  • Power Supply: ATX
  • Motherboard Support: ATX and MicroATX
  • Room for up to 3x 11" long graphics cards
  • 4x Internal 5.25" Bay (removable) - Good for reservoirs/pumps
  • USB 3.0 / 2.0 on front, headphones and mic jacks

Watercooling:
  • Support for 2x240mm radiators (with exhaust on bottom)
  • Dual-loop compatible
  • Can fit 2 water pumps
  • Can fit various size of reservoirs (see screenshots), mounts for 2 cylinder/hanging reservoirs
  • Aircooling:
  • Low profile heatsinks only (max height must be 150mm or less).
  • Bottom cutouts for radiators could also be used for intake (up to 4 120mm fans).

Please let us know what you think of this case and the design - would love to hear your thoughts!

That's an interesting and unique design there! Definitely a departure from your run of the mill tower.

However, the case seems cramped from a usability standpoint - probably from the reduced area because the design is pretty far from being square.

There seems to be too much case space when considering air cooling, but not enough when considering water cooling. Especially when you consider that water cooling is more common among higher end computers and becoming a lot more popular lately (nearly 50/50 air:water this year and last versus about 80/20 in 2008-2010 http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724487)

As someone that uses watercooling, the support for only 2x 240mm radiatiors is disappointing. Is it possible to add space to accomodate a second 240mm radiator on the left side? That would allow for a good amount of cooling potential if three rads were installed. Having some sort of bracket to allow installing a 3.5" HDD and 2.5" SDD in the 5.25" bay would likely sort out most user's drive configuration as well.

Otherwise, I love the uniqueness of the design. It's very eye catching and the asetheics are great. It made me contemplate it sitting on my desk several times :)

Much better ..... looks like you put allot more thought into airflow this time around.

A very sweet design. Would definately want something like this. I will say that I would look at whether the bottom plate is also compartment isolated. ( for water cooling). You are pulling air into the right side from one fan and supplying 4 fans with air, fan speed balancing.....the left side supplies 4 fans as well but has two fans for supply. Additionally, the rad exhaust is going thru the base of the system, and while it looks like the port size is sufficient, I wonder about the turbulence created down there, and the case base will absorb some of that heat from the exhaust and it will be transferred to the entire case. Lastly, fill ports and drain ports? Please know that I am not a thermal dynamics or hvac expert, these are more questions than criticisms. I do always look at the maintenance viewpoint if I can. If a leak occurs in the res or rad, where will the liquid go and how to remove it.

Back