• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Eat it AMD and Intel: IBM's Power 8 CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wonder if Apple regrets going to x86 now? At least Apple used to have bragging rights as to having more powerful processors when they used PowerPC based Macs.

At the end of the G4's reign the Core processors were trouncing it. The G5 was competitive at first but by 2005 they needed to be watercooled, used copious amounts of electricity etc.....

This has got to be the dumbest thread ever. Do you think you can just throw these cpu's in a consumer box? A laptop? IBM could not make a powerpc processor that thermally or battery life wise could even be used in a laptop. That is why Apple ditched the ppc platform. And Mac sales skyrocketed after the switch. It made the Mac way more versatile.

Why couldn't you throw a PPC in a consumer box -- they've done it in the past?
Let's see you put a Sandybride-E 3960x in a laptop.

Why couldn't you throw a PPC in a consumer box -- they've done it in the past?
Let's see you put a Sandybride-E 3960x in a laptop.
Supposedly, the EON17-X has/had it. The SLX version can have an i7 4930MX.

However, what does that have to do with the argument. :confused:

I don't know a lot about PPC, but even if it were just as fast as Intel processors, Apple wouldn't be wise to use it. Switching to Intel allowed their systems to run their OS along with Windows without virtualizing the operating system, which means inconvenience for the user and a performance hit. Being able to run both operating systems broadens their customer base. People that like their hardware, but would rather run Windows (or both), can now do so. That isn't even considering hardware differences.

Supposedly, the EON17-X has/had it. The SLX version can have an i7 4930MX.

However, what does that have to do with the argument. :confused:

I don't know a lot about PPC, but even if it were just as fast as Intel processors, Apple wouldn't be wise to use it. Switching to Intel allowed their systems to run their OS along with Windows without virtualizing the operating system, which means inconvenience for the user and a performance hit. Being able to run both operating systems broadens their customer base. People that like their hardware, but would rather run Windows (or both), can now do so. That isn't even considering hardware differences.

The whole POINT of this article is that the IBM's Power 8 (not a PPC by the way, but a PPC derivative) is much more powerful than anything Intel and AMD have now.

I don't know if you read your own argument, but one of the drawbacks you mentioned, presumably to IBM's Power architecture (which this whole thread is about, not the PPC) is that you can't put it in a laptop.

The Power architecture is based on the PPC, but I'm not even sure if it'll run old PPC programs. I'm not sure if its instruction set is compatible w/the old PPC's.

This makes me want to find a cheap PPC mac to play around with. The G5 was completely bad ***.

I had one for a while, with PPC linux installed on it.

I don't know if you read your own argument, but one of the drawbacks you mentioned, presumably to IBM's Power architecture (which this whole thread is about, not the PPC) is that you can't put it in a laptop.
I...what? Please read my comment again. I never mentioned anything about the processor hardware itself (so it doesn't matter if it is PPC, Power 8, or some amazing future tech) because I don't know anything about it, and specifically stated that right at the beginning. My argument is about compatibility. If you had taken time to read and comprehend what I posted, that would be clear: running the same processor architecture as everyone else in the world gives them a wider customer base, which increases sales. I'm not sure how to make it more simple.

This sentence is the first time I've ever typed the word "laptop" or "power" in this thread. Are you getting me mixed up with someone else? :confused:

I...what? Please read my comment again. I never mentioned anything about the processor hardware itself (so it doesn't matter if it is PPC, Power 8, or some amazing future tech) because I don't know anything about it, and specifically stated that right at the beginning. My argument is about compatibility. If you had taken time to read and comprehend what I posted, that would be clear: running the same processor architecture as everyone else in the world gives them a wider customer base, which increases sales. I'm not sure how to make it more simple.

This sentence is the first time I've ever typed the word "laptop" or "power" in this thread. Are you getting me mixed up with someone else? :confused:

You're right, I mixed you up w/someone else. My apologies memsahib.
:salute:

By the time they get that factory up and running you might be surprised what others might do :)

Anyways, if going that route should I buy one of these :p

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Six-Core-Processor-3-46GHz-1366pin/dp/B0072ON482

And some 3xTeslas with a Titan or something, not like it might matter most things.

J/K, though it would run in here I guess.

We'll see what we see when they finally start making them on a regular basis I guess.

Last edited:
Back