• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is checking disk after a full format necessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Let's say you have a mechanical drive OS partition that needs to be checked for errors.

Let's say you also want to nuke the partition and reimage it from a drive image file.

Do you choose to:

1. Full (not quick) Format the OS partition.
2. Check the newly formatted empty partition for errors.
3. Reimage

Done.

Or is Checking the partition for errors also necessary *after* reimaging data back onto a newly formatted already checked space?

Question 2: After Full Formatting the partition and checking it for errors, is rebooting necessary? Or can you just image data onto newly formatted empty space straight away?

Last edited:
Just run chkdsk /r in a Command box and it will check the HD without reimaging. If it finds errors it will try to move any data it can save and it will report any errors it can't fix.

If you must reimage, then full format will check the disk, and then reimage. Then run chkdsk /r to be sure the drive is good.

The premise of the question is needing to nuke the partition so full format is a given.

So let me rephrase with separate questions:

1. Post *full* format - is checking the disk necessary, regardless of what happens next?

The premise of the question is needing to nuke the partition so full format is a given.

So let me rephrase with separate questions:

1. Post *full* format - is checking the disk necessary, regardless of what happens next?

Probably not, the full format check for bad sectors as far as I know.

Never hurts to run it and be sure though.

I've been using the 'never hurts approach' for the past 20 years.
I'd like to find out now if it is necessary from the technical point of view.

1, 2, and 3 Done is enough.

Or is Checking the partition for errors also necessary *after* reimaging data back onto a newly formatted already checked space? << no way I would consider that extra chkdsk in any way necessary. Putting an image back to a formatted and checked partition should not need any recheck. If it still had some sort of error, then it is time to replace the drive.

1, 2, and 3 Done is enough.

Or is Checking the partition for errors also necessary *after* reimaging data back onto a newly formatted already checked space? << no way I would consider that extra chkdsk in any way necessary. Putting an image back to a formatted and checked partition should not need any recheck. If it still had some sort of error, then it is time to replace the drive.

chkdsk /r performs a more complete read and write, if the drive is suspect, then it is necessary to run chkdsk /r after you reimage. If errors are returned then its time to dump that HD.

a full format renews that part of the disk responsible for holding the format information, so its a good idea to do that on a suspect disk as well

Doing it through the GUI as pictured below is never mentioned in threads about this, why?

Attachments

• ErrorChecking.png
    ErrorChecking.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 111
i dont even go that far i just do the quick format in clonezilla let it image and move on.

Doing it through the GUI as pictured below is never mentioned in threads about this, why?

Easier to type than explain how to get to it via the gui option I think.

Just type in "chkdsk /r" in the cmd prompt.

Or

go to "my computer" find the drive, right click properties then click "tools tab" click check now then select both boxes then click start.

See the difference?

That's my take on it anyway.

i dont even go that far i just do the quick format in clonezilla let it image and move on.
Exactly... :thup:

Unless I suspect drive problems, I never run that stuff. I also RARELY do a full format, again, unless I suspect the drive had problems.

That isn't technical, but... this has worked for me for 20 years too.

Well, thinking about this logically brings me to the conclusion that the check disk for errors comes up on boot so most check there. You dont "see" drive errors in windows from a prompt standpoint so why would one look for it within windows if there are no problems. ;)

If you are a private individual who doesn't deal with dozens of large capacity drives at once, absolutely run extended manufacturer test on *every* multi TB drive you get to make sure the overnight advanced test which takes "forever" doesn't return errors.

The alternative is to start filling it up with multi TB worth of data and find out the hard way if it does or not.

I once had five WD drives in a row (test/fail/mail back/test/fail/mail back...) come from a very large bad batch which could only be detected through WD's extended test. They were low end WD 2TB drives.

I always do a Full Format when I get a new drive. Then Quick Format subsequently if I ever have to format the drive again. If I feel there is something wrong with the drive I will always delete any partitions on it and then do a Full Format.

Doing an advanced long test (not just format) before placing 2TB, 3TB, 4TB of data on it actually saves you time if the drive is bad because there'll be a lot more time lost if you find out the drive is bad the hard way - by loosing that data.

I only do long tests using the respective manufacturers' diagnostic tools if I'm really worried that the drive is on its last legs.

I also took that approach. Then I lost 2TB of data on a brand new drive. Then it turned out that WD had a bad batch at newegg and I got several more form that batch.

Some would not start at all. Some would start but could not be formatted. Some only failed an extended overnight test several hours into that test, indicating that they would have lasted a bit then failed.

Having found out the hard way why, I never start using a multi TB drive before FULL format AND Advanced Test completes overnight.

Back