• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

most powerfull single slot w/o external power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

so one last ask, after several months of looking around...

whats the most powerful single slot card that doesn't require external power?

and I am talking truly single slot, none of the single bracket 2 slot coolers, it has to stay within its own lane sort of thing.
nvidia or amd, doesn't matter its going into a shuttle XPC and I need it to be sort of kick ***. its main purpose is to play mad huge long matches of fortune street on it so I don't kill other things

so far the best bang for the buck I have found is a refurbished powercolor 7750 with 1 gig DDR5 for $65

either the hd7750 or gtx 650 (non ti). depending on the games you play they trade blows

i think a few non reference 7770's also do not require a pcie power cable from the psu. though double check those because only one or two models dont need it iirc

cant do APU, not going to try and find a new motherboard for a shuttle XPC that will fit, plus I found it dumpster diving and it works fine after I jammed some drives in it.

I couldn't find any 7770's w/o external power, I did find a 650 but at $120 the price per performance just isn't there, plus I don't think it will fit, doesn't stick to its own lane...

edit:
i'm looking at things that take advantage of direct computer rather than just gaming so mayber I should just stick with the 7750...

used 650's are cheap. newegg also has a refurb for $85 evga brand
theres a 650 with a broken fan on ebay for $44

i bought my 2gb 650ti SSC mini used on ebay for $108 shipped but it takes a 6 pin :(

you got me excited, I thought you meant the 650 refurb was single slot with out a 6 pin but its got both a dual slot cooler and a 6 pin...

ho hum. ah well I guess i'll just go for the 7750 for now and if I update the motherboard in this then i'll make sure its got the 16x slot on the inside not on the outside edge

oh im sorry :( i didnt realise it needed the 6 pin it must be the SC version or something :\

you got me excited, I thought you meant the 650 refurb was single slot with out a 6 pin but its got both a dual slot cooler and a 6 pin...

ho hum. ah well I guess i'll just go for the 7750 for now and if I update the motherboard in this then i'll make sure its got the 16x slot on the inside not on the outside edge
Why are you worried about a 16x slot with a budget card? 8x holds back a 7970 about 1%. Plug that card into any 16x physical slot and go! :)

I wasn't really looking for budget, if I could i'd just jam in my 5770 I have lying around and go but since the case is so small and I have so little headroom on the PSU i'm very limited

this is the computer its going into:
http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsDetail?productId=1465
if you check out the quick start guide it'll give you the mobo layout and you can see where the 16x slot is at, the other is a regular pci slot, if it was even a 4x or 8x express slot I would have stuck something in it that was a 2 slot cooler aswell but it isnt

right now its got an Athlon X2 240 (I think 240) but I have a phenom X3 I can stick in it and its also got 4 gigs of corsair XMS that I am going to swap with 8 gigs of g.skill pi black. I seriously found this pc dumpster diving, all I had to do was jam a hard drive in it and I was good to go. the components I just listed I have lying around all over the place some are dumpster finds aswell

edit:

I made a snippet from the pdf of what I am running into, check that 16x slot location...

Attachments

• mobo layout.png
    mobo layout.png
    360.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I'd be looking for a better case personally. Heck go to the good will store or salvation army and see if they have an old PC for sale on the cheap.

PSU's are really darn cheap as well.

This may be a better route for BF3/4 than trying to find a dinky card and play these games.

if I could i'd just jam in my 5770...

Actually I got a case and a 600w rocketfish Psu just sitting around. I could let them both go for under 100$ including shipping probably. It's a cheapy case, nothing special.

Probably like 60$ plus 20$ (roughly) to ship. Something to think about. doesn't have to be a deal with me, but new egg has cheap case and psu combo deals.

that's the thing I like the small size, will work well out in the living room.
stick a Bluetooth dongle on it, run some Wii-mote script and I already have a sensor bar I have been toying with and I could have a pretty decent system for up on the tv, some games, and such on a 47 inch would be nice... nothing too wild, should be able to play most games at a decent rate on moderate settings, hell most of my games on steam are older games... except metro and bioshock...

I have a little Bluetooth keyboard around here too, cant find it at the moment though...

I did how ever find a 9600gt I forgot I had and a HDTV wonder card, I stuck them both in there but I haven't turned them on yet, kind of afraid too. the 9600gt is a power hog compared to the 7750
and reasonably so, its getting a bit old, would make a decent PhysX card for my main system though so maybe it'll wind up in there.

i'll take a pic of the 9600 gt in this case later, its pretty amazing it fits

yo shrimpbrime might wanna take that offer off there and bring it to PM before a mod sees it ;) just a heads up.

youd be surprised with that 9600gt i mean it isnt going to be anything miraculous but i have a couple in machines at my house and they run LoL and MW2 cod4 portal 2 all kinds of stuff. dont think your gonna do much more with an athlon 2 anyhow lol

Back