• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile phone interferes with PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dandulak

Hi everybody,

I've built a gaming rig about month ago and it stared to freeze intermittently. I've ran the hardware test like prime95, memtest, hdd test, gpu test and I wasn't able to reproduce the freeze. Later on, I have noticed, that freeze happens only if my mobile phone was close. Every time I'm getting a call/sms/data sync my computer froze. I've never heard of a similar case

Can someone explain this phenomenon? Is it possible, that mobile phone el. signal somehow amplifies voltage, or something?

Thanks

-------------
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H - Intel Z87
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 - 2TB
Corsair CX Builder Series 500W
MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC Gaming
Samsung SSD 840 Series - 120GB, Basic
Intel Core i5-4670K
Corsair Carbide Series® 200R
Corsair Vengeance Pro — 8GB (2 x 4GB), 1600MHz C9
lcd is some few yrs old samsung
small generic reproductors(i know...)

Small artical that talks about different things happening here.

Does not really talk about computer freezing..

Did you use motherboard standoffs? I am wondering if you did not, maybe your computer is acting like an antenna or?

I can't imagine a cell phone to cause a PC to power off... that makes no sense (to me of course).

What brand is the PSU? I know that cell phones all kind of electrical noise and interference. If a power supply is borderline bad or really cheap, it might cause a shutdown.

If it the one in Sig, then I would think it would be Ok.

standoffs are installed.

One more thing: I used have an old computer on a same spot, where the new one is (including keyboard, mouse, lcd, repro). And if I stream sound from Video card via hdmi to tv, no freezes at all...Maybe the old repros act like an antenna, BUT why would it cause the computer to go dead and why it wasnt happening on old pc.

PSU is 'Corsair CX Builder Series 500W'. Computer does not turn off, but freeze (no dumps, no BSOD, no anomalies in speedfan log). I think, that problem might be the integrated audio stuff on mobo catches the mobile phone signal and somehow tries to amplify it, or the mobile phone signal might accidentally hit the amplitude, which makes some built-in hw protection gadget to freeze the PC...

The happens even in BIOS on default configuration without any IO from peripheral devices

i could see this happening anyone remember what a cellphone did to the old crt monitors? lol id get so angry playing my little 2d mmo's back then!

Seeing that you are using the 200R Case and I had the same problem with a similar setup (also gigabyte motherboard):

There is one standoff in the Case that needs to be taken out before installing the motherboard. The standoff is there for mATX boards and is preinstalled, but can be screwed off. This is very user unfriendly on Corsairs part for beginners that think this is an ATX-case. I believe the whole case then somehow serves as an antenna and the incorrectly installed standoff touches traces on your motherboard.

Linus Tech Tipps Youtube channel explicitly mentions this in his review of the 200R case.

This caused me so many headaches, fortunatley it did not cause any permanent damage to my board.

I replied to this even 1,5 years later because it reminded me of this webcomic by xkcd: http://xkcd.com/979/

Back