• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant Enable Crossfire HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gnelson82

Registered
Guys I am completely stumped and need help. I am doing a new client build, and have everything installed and crossfire option is in CCC but it is greyed out with the message about my crossfire interconnect bridge isn't connected properly, therefore, I cant click enable.

I am trying to enable two Asus R9 270X TOP cards on an Asus Z87-Pro motherboard
I am on 13.11 Beta Catalyst drivers (my only option when using driver search or CD)

Both cards are seen by GPUZ, and device manager. Neither have the yellow exclamation mark
Plugging the second one in and booting up prompts the message about crossfire, but again, its greyed out.

Both work separately when plugging the monitor in and booting up, and scale from pcie3.0 @ 8x 1.1 up to 3.0 in GPUZ

I figured to save time for us, I am just going to list everything I tried to remedy this problem.

Reseated cards three times
Switched cards around the other way in the pcie slots
Flipped crossfire bridge in other direction
Tried another crossfire bridge (in both directions) (same brand)
Uninstalled all AMD drivers, safe mode driver sweep, and re-install CCC (three times)
No crossfire option exists in bios
Forcing Gen 2 speeds in bios for both cards didn't work

Installed both cards on my personal rig (rog) and exact same problem persists, so I don't think its a motherboard issue. (Both motherboards support crossfire)

Again, both cards work perfect separately, and both are recognized. Its just that actual enable button for crossfireX is greyed out. I don't know what else to do here fellas, and I am hoping someone is tech savvy enough to help fix this issue.

Who has suggestions? :bang head:bang head

just to cover this, have you checked the motherboard manual to be sure you are using the correct slots for crossfire?

you might need to update the bios on one of the cards, I am not a crossfire guy but I have read once or twice about this being an issue.

Asus Z-87 Pro
Asus R9 270X x2
I5 4670K
8GB Vengeance Pro
Corsair HX 850
Corsair Neutron GTX SSD
WD Blue 1TB
Corsair H80i

And to caddi daddi, can you take a look here and tell me if the bios' are correct

screen1_zps1356b654.png~original

i`m thinking either some wierd driver issue or one of the cards has a problem. dunno what to say...
also the r9 270x should have the Curacao XT core not pitcairn, so i know.

I think pitcairn is the 7850 core.

the bios match.
13.11??? that's a beta, 13.9 is the newest.

I think pitcairn is the 7850 core.

the bios match.
13.11??? that's a beta, 13.9 is the newest.

The 13.11 BETA driver came on the speed setup cd from asus, and searching for drivers through amd only shows 13.11 beta. Strange? :confused:
Here are some more pics below

Doesn't work on either setup
IMG_0386_zpsc658d715.jpg

The connections look fine
IMG_0389_zpsf99ec602.jpg

The bridge
IMG_0390_zps4e312675.jpg

Try this. 13.9 from their website, also shut off the internet when installing so as not to auto-update to 13.11beta when installing.

Try this. 13.9 from their website, also shut off the internet when installing so as not to auto-update to 13.11beta when installing.

Going to try that now. Its downloading.
But on a sidenote, why would the Asus CD that comes with the cards contain 13.11 Beta drivers??? :confused:

i don`t know. maybe they were stoned...i personally hate beta drivers, too many bugs for my taste so i try to avoid them

Beta drivers really help in bf4. I would say cf cable but you tried a couple. Verify that there isn't anything on the contacts of the cards or the crossfire bridge where they all connect together.

Beta drivers really help in bf4. I would say cf cable but you tried a couple. Verify that there isn't anything on the contacts of the cards or the crossfire bridge where they all connect together.

I looked carefully at the fingers... all looks good.
If I call asus is this something they can troubleshoot?

Hi Gnelson82, I was wondering if you ever resolved your issue? I am experiencing similar issue with 2 XFX R9 270x cards on an ASUS Z87-PRO. Windows sees both cards and CCC shows 2nd card as disabled.

Thanks

Well, pretty much what everyone recommended, swap the cards in the PCIe slots, look at bios settings, complete clean remove of drivers and reinstall (currently tried 14.7 RC1), different bridge connectors (each card brought its own), I checked both cards individually and they run at x16 on their own. I was reading the ASUS does crossfire with dual x8 however I noticed the second card runs at x2 and I think thats the root problem but can't fix it. The 3rd PCIe slot runs at 2.0 vs 3.0 so I didn't even bother trying that 3rd slot. As per MOBO manual, it says to use the first 2 slots. I tried putting the PCIe speed in BIOS to GEN3/GEN2 but when I do that the second card disappears from Windows Device Management so I just leave it on AUTO. I updated the BIOS on the MOBO... I haven't tried updating BIOS on the cards yet. I was hoping the the OP resolved the issue and would share the info.

Back